Banksia Sewalong: jersey version

October 19th, 2012

I’m so excited for this tutorial – how great is a jersey Banksia?? It’s a whole new level of tshirt!!

If you need a bit of help or a refresher on sewing with stretchy fabrics – check out this post i did a while ago.

I like how fast this one comes together – here we go!

First thing to do is cut out your fabric using your altered stretchy fabric Banksia pattern

Place the top and front back pieces together with right sides facing each other, and sew the shoulder seams

Sew the collar, and make sure you press it!!! I know it’s tempting with jersey not to iron – but the only way to get the collar to look good is through pressing. I didn’t use interfacing on the collar, as i wanted it to be as drapey as the top – but you could if you want. Just make sure you use an interfacing with stretch.

Attach the collar to the top – and then sew the seam allowance flat against the top on the inside so that it doesn’t show from the outside. Be careful not to catch the collar in your stitches – and use a stitch with stretch. The last photo above is what the topstitching on mine looked like – it is concealled once the collar sits flat down

Attach the sleeves and sew up the side seams

Hem the bottom of the top and the sleeves using a stitch that maintains the stretch of the fabric – and you’re done!

1. Rachel says:

Yay!! This is the one I’ve been waiting for!! :) Now I can dig into mine!!!

2. SO awesome! I can’t WAIT to have this pattern!!!

3. María says:

Great, I was waiting for this one. Guess I know what I’ll be doing over the weekend.
    One question though: If i decide to do a long sleeve jersey version, it should be easy to let the sleeves get narrower around the elbow, and thus skip the elastic, right? I was just wondering.
    Anyways I already made one wearable muslin and have fabric for one banksia in jersey and one in woven fabric :)

Hey Maria! I’m so glad you enjoyed this one!

ANyway, yes, if you do a long sleeved jersey version its definitely easy to let the sleeves get narrow at the elbow then the wrist, and omit the elastic. The stretch will compensate for the elbow :) The elastic cuff really just an idea i came up with for the woven version, since it removes the need for a sleeve placket or more traditionally drafted long sleeve.
      Hope that helps! I think a long sleeved jersey Banksia sounds gorgeous!

XOXO

• María says:

Yes, of course I meant the wrist, not the elbow :)
        I think I will give it a go since the winter is coming here in Germany. I’ll post a pic when I’m finished.

4. nicole says:

great tutorial Megan, I keep seeing this method of sleeve insertion lately it looks so simple i’ll have to give it a go :-)

5. Kessem says:

Thanks for this tutorial Megan! there’s one thing I don’t get though – I may have missed something, how is it that the collar meets in the front? isn’t it supposed to have the placket in the middle (in the non jersey version)
    thanks!

6. June says:

I am just flabbergasted by all the variations you are coming up with. Truly. It illustrates, among other things, how totally limited my imagination was when I looked at this top! LOL. You are a fabulous designer, Meg. Hats off to you!

7. Ginger says:

This is so, so cute! I absolutely love it!

8. LISA ONG says:

Hi Megan… Been following the sew along so far, and loved it.
    I have a burning question tho, regarding the jersey version. Since it’s in jersey, do we still need to SBA/FBA and changing the apex position before we true up the side seams? or shld we just true up the side seams without other pattern alteration ( besides removing the placket)?

9. katherine landreneau says:

So quick and easy! Beautiful! Love your placement of the collar for the larger stripes! Kl