Oh, how I love a long-sleeved Banksia!! It’s a wonderful winter option – and so so pretty! I think you’ll also find it’s a really easy variation of the pattern. If you haven’t already drafted a long sleeve for your Banksia top – head on over to this post for a refresher.
Cut out your long sleeves using your newly drafted long sleeve pattern. Fold in half with right sides together, matching up the seam lines. Sew, and neaten the raw edges.
Now to begin the cuff. Fold 1/2″ towards the inside and press. Then fold 1.5″ towards the inside and press again.
Head over to the sewing machine, and sew around the edge. Make sure you leave a gap larger enough to thread your 1″ wide elastic through.
Now time to cut your elastic. I like using 1″ wide elastic, because I think it makes for a better look. Figuring out your elastic length is a matter of preference. For me I measured my wrist – added 1/2″ for ease, and another 1″ for elastic overlap – resulting in 7″ long elastic.
Thread your elastic through the opening by attaching a safety pin to the end to guide it through. Once both ends meet at the opening, overlap the elastic by 1/2″ and secure.
Over to the sewing machine again, sew up the gap you threaded the elastic through.
Technically I suppose you could call this last step optional – but personally, I think it’s vital to getting a good finish. Back to your sewing machine, sew the elastic to the cuff, stretching the elastic as you sew so that the elastic and fabric are matched up. I like to sew two rows like this. You end up with a really perfectly gathered cuff that sits nice and flat (no rolling elastic).
And last of all – spritz the cuff and press it. You’re done!!!
LOOKING FOR MORE BANKSIA POSTS?
- Sewing: Darts & Seams
- Sewing: Basting & Placket prep
- Sewing: Collars
- Sewing: Collarless version
- Sewing: How to sew a placket
- Sewing: How to sew a placket the easier way
- Sewing: How to sew a faux placket
- Sewing: Leaving the placket off
- Sewing: Flat sleeve insertion
- Sewing: Sleeveless version
- Sewing: Long-sleeved version (this post!)
- Sewing: Hemming
- Sewing: Dress version
- Sewing: Jersey version
Some other tutorials you might like to check out:
- Pattern Alterations: How to turn the pattern into a dress
- Pattern Alterations: Altering bust dart height
- Pattern Alterations: Bust adjustments (FBA and SBA)
- Pattern Alterations: Lengthen the sleeves
- Pattern Alterations: Drafting different collars
- Pattern Alterations: Alter the pattern for stretch fabrics