Sometimes, you just don’t care about conquering a technique, but you still want the look of the final design detail. There’s nothing wrong with that – happens to me all the time too :) So today I’m going to show you how to make a faux placket for your Banksia top – all the cute with a fraction of the work. This is a bonus tutorial – not included in the instruction booklet.
Next up, only cut one placket piece, and attach lightweight interfacing to the wrong side.
Fold the placket in half and pin. Sew along one short edge and the long edge, 5/8″ from the raw edge.
Trim and notch the corners, and turn the placket the right way round. Then press to get those edges crisp.
Now pin your placket in the centre front of the top and topstitch around the edges. Make sure that the edge of the placket with the raw edge is butted up to and in line with the raw edge of the neckline. Then finish with a little box and cross at the bottom if you feel inclined.
To make things easier I’ve left the collar off for this. But if you do attach the collar just line up the edges of the collar so that they butt up right up to the edges of the faux placket. And then finish the neckline like we cover for Version 1 here.
Sew on some buttons for the finished faux placket look, no buttonholes are needed!
LOOKING FOR MORE BANKSIA POSTS?
- Sewing: Darts & Seams
- Sewing: Basting & Placket prep
- Sewing: Collars
- Sewing: Collarless version
- Sewing: How to sew a placket
- Sewing: How to sew a placket the easier way
- Sewing: How to sew a faux placket (this post!)
- Sewing: Leaving the placket off
- Sewing: Flat sleeve insertion
- Sewing: Sleeveless version
- Sewing: Long-sleeved version
- Sewing: Hemming
- Sewing: Dress version
- Sewing: Jersey version
Some other tutorials you might like to check out:
- Pattern Alterations: How to turn the pattern into a dress
- Pattern Alterations: Altering bust dart height
- Pattern Alterations: Bust adjustments (FBA and SBA)
- Pattern Alterations: Lengthen the sleeves
- Pattern Alterations: Drafting different collars
- Pattern Alterations: Alter the pattern for stretch fabrics