Your skirt is starting to take shape now! Let’s finish off your Brumby waistband. To finish up the waistband on our Brumby skirts, we’ll be adding a waistband facing for a clean finish.
Just note – while the waistband pieces were interfaced, the facing pieces are identical but not interfaced.
With right sides together line up the side seams of the waistband facing pieces and sew 5/8″ from the raw edge.
Press the seams open.
Fold in 5/8″ at the bottom edge and press.
Fold in 1″ at the sides and press.
This is a good point to make sure that the ends of your zipper are tucked in neatly before closing up the waistband.
Lay your skirt down with right sides facing out.
With right sides together place the waistband facing on the waistband so that the notches on the top edge of the waistband are aligned.
Sew the waistband to the waistband facing 5/8″ from the edge.
Clip around the waistband, being careful not to clip through stitches.
Press the seams and facing away from the garment.
Understitch the waistband facing just beyond the seamline. This will make the waistband sit neatly and prevent the facing from showing.
Turn the facing towards the wrong side of the garment, press and pin in place.
Hand sew the waistband facing to the zipper tape along the two short ends.
For finishing the bottom edge of the facing, you have two options:
- You can also hand sew the facing down.
2. Or you can topstitch along the waistband from the outside of the skirt so that it catches the facing on the inside.
LOOKING FOR MORE BRUMBY POSTS?
- How to choose between Brumby & Brumby Curve
- Sewalong: Pockets
- Sewalong: Center Front (Version 1 & 2) & Side Seams (All)
- Sewalong: Waistband and Gathers
- Sewalong: Zipper
- Sewalong: Waistband Facing (this post!)
- Sewalong: Hem
- Hack: Asymmetrical Gathered Tier