Menu
From The Workroom / MN2204 Brumby / News & Updates / Sewalongs

Introducing extended sizing!

Megan Nielsen Patterns extended sizing // sizes 0-30 starting with the Brumby skirt and Virginia leggings patterns

Well my friends I am really thrilled to tell you all about how my pattern sizing is changing! We’ve been working on this for a very long time, and it’s been a mammoth effort behind the scenes, but i think you’ll agree its been SO worth it!

When I launched my brand back in 2010 my business consisted of just myself drafting and grading by hand, so I started with five manageable sizes: XS, S, M, L and XL. As time has gone on I’ve received many requests for extended sizing, and for myself as a designer I’ve really felt the limitations of not only 5 sizes, but of the numerical size labels themselves. I take your feedback really seriously, so for the last few years I have been working on extending my size range to cover more sizes. I’ve worked SO hard on this, and there have been many sleepless nights considering all the pros and cons of different sizing regimes (i am not joking) but I feel really happy with what we have come up with.

After a lot of research and gathered feedback I’ve found that most people are familiar with and comfortable with the American sizing system which begins at size 0, rather than brand specific naming, so this is what I have decided to adopt to an extent. Even though I am using familiar size labels, like any brand, I can’t guarantee that my size measurements will line up with other brands sizing or with your expectations. And as with any pattern’s sizing, please make sure you always choose your size based on your actual body measurements not your size expectations. At the end of the day, these are just labels to help distinguish cutting lines :) As a small side note: you may wonder why I haven’t chosen Australian sizing for my patterns, and that is simply because there is no standard Australian sizing! I know, it’s weird.

The feedback from our testers on the new sizing has been amazing so i’m really hoping you love the new sizes as much as we do!

Megan Nielsen Patterns sizing chart

My new sizing will consist of two ranges. My standard range will cover sizes 0-20 and includes 6 additional sizes plus the 5 original sizes. Two sizes larger, two sizes smaller, and two sizes in the middle. As you can see from this size chart, we’ve worked hard to make sure that our new sizes line up with the old sizes cleanly, so that you can feel confident that all Megan Nielsen patterns are consistent and accurate. For example if you have always cut a size M in my patterns this will correlate exactly to the new 12.

From now on all new patterns will be available in the 0-20 size range, however I won’t be updating all existing patterns with this new size range. You may see some existing patterns being released with extended sizing in coming months, but most existing patterns will remain available in XS-XL. Extending the size range for a pattern is akin to beginning from scratch with that design in development, timeline and cost, and it sadly isn’t possible for us to do this for all existing patterns.

The curve range will cover sizes 14-30. You’ve probably noticed that there is an overlap of four sizes with the standard range, and this is completely intentional. I am well aware that our bodies are all different and that we often span a range of sizes, so I wanted to be thoughtful and intentional about the intersection of these two size ranges. I didn’t want anyone to be in the situation where they found themselves stuck between two size ranges and needing to purchase both and blend. I am hoping this overlap of sizes will remove that worry for you. If you are a size 14 to 20 I leave it up to your discretion to decide which size range will work better for you.

Now that I’ve told you all about the new sizing, I’m really thrilled to share that the first two patterns with the new sizing will be the much loved Virginia leggings and Brumby skirt patterns! These patterns were both due for a reprint, so it was an ideal opportunity for us to regrade. This means that the Virginia leggings and Brumby skirt are now both available in printed form for sizes 0-20 and in digital PDF form for sizes 0-20, and Curve sizes 14-30!

I am really super excited about this and I hope you are too! If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment below or email us at hello@megannielsen.com !

Order Brumby

Order Brumby

About Author

Meg is the Founder and Creative Director of Megan Nielsen Patterns, and is constantly dreaming up ideas for new sewing patterns and ways to make your sewing journey more enjoyable! She gets really excited about design details and is always trying to add way too many variations to our patterns.

Notify of
guest

46 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
drelladoes
4 years ago

This is super exciting! Does this mean that the Ash jeans will get a size update as well? Fantastic work on becomeing more inclusive ?

Megan
Megan
Reply to  Meg

Another vote for the Ash (and River too)! I was so disappointed when they were released in the old size range. Us curvy ladies only have the Cashmerette Jeans right now (unless we are brave enough to try jeans with limited instructions, like style arc!).

Claire
4 years ago

Fantastic News! If we have already purchased a pattern that now includes extended sizes, will we need to repurchase or can we get an update?

Sunny Goldsberry
Reply to  Claire

I have this question too!

Anita
Admin
4 years ago

Hi Sunny, Send us a quick email at hello@megannielsen.com letting us know which pattern you have and we’ll sort something out regarding the extended size version!

Christine Ross
Christine Ross
Reply to  Claire

Same question – would love to know!

Anita
Admin
Reply to  Christine Ross

Hi Christine, If you would like to send us a quick email at hello@megannielsen.com letting us know which pattern you have and we’ll sort something out regarding the extended size version of that pattern!

Anita
Admin
Reply to  Claire

Hi Claire, Send us a quick email at hello@megannielsen.com letting us know which pattern you have and we’ll sort something out regarding the extended size version!

Eliz~
4 years ago

This is fantastic. My measurements are very much in line with the added sizes, except my hip is 1″ larger. But that’s a super easy adjustment compared to adding size over all! I can’t wait to try the new sizes! Thank You!

KM
KM
4 years ago

When will they be available?

Anita
Admin
Reply to  KM

Hi KM, At the moment, we’ve released the Virginia and Brumby patterns in the extended sizes and will be releasing others in the coming months. Keep an eye out on Instagram and the blog for news!

Jodi Kelly
Jodi Kelly
4 years ago

As always you rock!! I never let the size range keep me from making your patterns. It will be a little less work now going forward. Fabulous!!

Natasha
Natasha
4 years ago

This makes me really happy. I just signed up for your newsletter, because now I am a lot more interested! Thank you for including more of us. :)

Natasha
Natasha
4 years ago

This is great! Thanks for including more of us.

Genevieve Round
4 years ago

Any pointers to help decide between the 2 ranges if we are in the overlapping group? Thanks!

Sarah
Sarah
4 years ago

Please,please, please release the Sudley in extended sizing!!

Kate
4 years ago

Thank you for being more size inclusive and especially for the overlapping size in the curve range. I am pear shape, so often blend between sizes and some other pattern companies don’t make a size range that works for my waist and hips. Your sleepless nights paid off because you got it right! I love the Brumby skirt (I’ve made it 6 times) and would love to upgrade my version to the curve one as well as looking forward to seeing new releases!

D
D
4 years ago

Megan, This is a fantastic step in the right direction!

While I don’t fall into the extended sizing, I’m absolutely thrilled that your patterns are much more inclusive of various size ranges and you have very thoughtfully added overlapping sizes in both ranges. Way to go!

Laura
Laura
4 years ago

This is fantastic news! I would love to see the darling ranges dress available in the extended size options.

Laura
Laura
Reply to  Laura

And the Kelly skirt!

Jane
Jane
Reply to  Laura

Matilda dress too please

Marie Biswell (@craftyrie)

Ohmygosh!! I could seriously kiss your feet right now! Finally, finally I’ll be able to sew some of your gorgeous patterns to fit my plus frame!! Thank you!

Rachel
Rachel
4 years ago

Yay! Tania culottes please! I was just thinking today about how to ask about grading them up since they have been sitting in my WIP pile for months.

Lisa
Lisa
4 years ago

I just purchased the Tania culottes. Since I am much larger than the bigger pattern I was/am expecting to do major alterations to get them to fit right.

I am willing to pay again to get my size.

danitacourtney
4 years ago

I am sure this was a difficult process! But you can see how excited people are! I personally am finally in your new sizing range and will be thrilled to see how this all progresses! I have been eyeing your patterns for a long time! Congratulations on a job well done! <3

Pam
Pam
4 years ago

Thank you for extending your sizing range. I’m pleased that the curve range is drafted for a D cup. Are there differences in sizing below the waist as well — say a different crotch curve to allow for a curvier derriere? Another way of asking: is the Flint in a size 14 exactly the same as the Flint in the curve 14?

Sara Kramer
Sara Kramer
Reply to  Pam

I’m wondering this as well!

Pam
Pam
Reply to  Meg

Thanks for your clarification, Meg.

Angie
4 years ago

Omigosh, I can’t tell you just how excited I am to hear about your Curve sizing expansion! I am head over heels in love with your Matilda shirt dress … any chance you might have plans to offer this in Curve sizes?

Lisa Hook
Lisa Hook
4 years ago

Thank you for the additional sizes but also for not assuming that since we are larger means we are proportioned differently! I can’t wait to get started with the new “curve” sizes!

celandinesong
celandinesong
4 years ago

oh this is such terrific news! I’ve been eyeing off your patterns for so long but couldn’t quite bring myself to do the required grading. really, really excited to purchase and sew – thank you so much for taking the time to increase the size, I can assure you that it is truly appreciated!

Bettina
3 years ago

Hi there! So glad you decided to do this. I‘ve a question for you: Do you work with different blocks? With an 18 I‘m stuck in between. I would prefer a curvier block. If the new addition is based on a completely new block I would rather buy that one with my size 16-18. Thanks for your answer!