Next up on our Brumby skirts are some quick seams. If you’re including a center front seam on your skirt, we’ll start there, and then tackle the side seams. As well as a quick prep for the zipper. Let’s get to it, this is an easy one!
Center Front Seam
Finish the raw edges of the center front seam separately using a zig-zag stitch or serger/overlocker.
Place the two Front pieces with right sides together.
Sew 5/8″ from the raw edge along the center front seam.
Press the seam open.
From the right side of the fabric, topstitch 1/4″ from the center seam on either side.
Place the two Back pieces on top of the front panel with right sides together and sides lined up.
Sew 5/8″ from the raw edge. Finish the raw edges as desired and press either open or to the back of the garment.
Now finish the raw edges of the center back pieces separately in preparation for the zipper.
Cut two pieces of fusible interfacing to be 1 1/4″ wide and 8″ long. Attach them to the wrong side of the back pattern pieces so that they line up with the center edges and waist seam.
LOOKING FOR MORE BRUMBY POSTS?
- How to choose between Brumby & Brumby Curve
- Sewalong: Pockets
- Sewalong: Center Front (Version 1 & 2) & Side Seams (All) (this post!)
- Sewalong: Waistband and Gathers
- Sewalong: Zipper
- Sewalong: Waistband Facing
- Sewalong: Hem
- Hack: Asymmetrical Gathered Tier
- Introducing Brumby
- Tutorial: How to insert an exposed zipper
- Tutorial: How to gather heavy fabrics