Of all the reasons to love the Harper shorts (and skort) my favourite has to be the ability to change how it’s worn simply by changing shoes and the top! It’s such a versatile basic! We’ve even taken to wearing a slightly longer version to work since there are so many amazing ways to style them for the office these days!
- A chic structured short with white button up always looks incredibly put together. Be sure to combine with a flat ballet flat so you’re more ‘day time’ than ‘party time’.
- Looking for a short with a little more coverage? Extend the leg to just above the knee (we’ve got a tutorial coming up in the upcoming sewalong to help you do just that) to get the perfect Bermuda short length + pumps + blazer = perfection!
- Matching shorts and tunic may look very “matchy, matchy” but I love it in darker colours and more structured fabrics.
- Pretty it up with a floral print fabric and pair with a gorgeous floaty blouse for a feminine touch.
- For a softer look, the shorts and skort look just as lovely in a lighter weight fabric paired with a soft blouse and sandals.
- Extend the shorts and taper the leg to the ankles (there’s a handy tutorial already here for you) to achieve a beautiful ‘Audrey Hepburn’-esque straight leg pant.
- Another option for the longer version of Harper is to continue the line of the shorts so you end up with a wide leg pant. The flat front and feature pockets create a great balance to the wider leg and a more structured version of a palazzo pant.
// LOOKING FOR MORE HARPER POSTS? //
Here’s the full list of the Harper posts and tutorials:
- Inspiration & Ideas (this post!)
- Zipper + Center Front Seam
- Pockets (version 1)
- Skort (version 2) – hem, pockets, and pleats
- Side Seams and Inseam
- Lining and Facing
- Attaching the Lining
- BONUS: Wide Leg Pants Variation
Here are some older Harper posts you might find useful :
Don’t have the Harper sewing pattern yet?! Order Harper today! We absolutely love seeing what you make, so don’t forget to tag your creations with #MNharper and @megannielsenpatterns when sharing on social media, and check out what everyone else is up to!