Next up in our Rowan tee and bodysuit construction is the sleeves and side seams! This pattern uses a flat sleeve insertion, with the side seams sewn afterwards. And its the same steps for all views – bodysuit or tee! This is an easy one, so let’s get straight to it.
Make sure you have the center notch marked on both sleeves.
Lay your tee open with right side of the fabric facing up.
Lay your sleeve on the tee with right sides of the fabric facing each other, and match up the notch with the shoulder seam. Pin.
Match up one sleeve edge with its respective armsyce end. Ease in the rest of the sleeve cap on that side to the armsyce, pinning as you go.
Repeat for the other side, until the entire sleeve cap is pinned to the armsyce.
Sew together 1/4″ from the raw edge using either a zig zag stitch or serger.
Repeat for the other sleeve, and press the seam allowances away from the body, towards the sleeves.
Fold your tee/bodysuit in half with right sides together, so that the side seams and sleeve raw edges are lined up.
Sew one sleeve and side seam in on continuous line, 1/4″ from the raw edge, using either a zig zag stitch or serger. Repeat for the other sleeve/sideseam.
Press the seams either open or towards the back of your tee, and that’s it for this step!
LOOKING FOR MORE ROWAN POSTS?
- Sewalong : Crew Neck Band and Turtleneck
- Sewalong : V-neck Band
- Sewalong : Sleeves and Side Seams (this post!)
- Sewalong : Bodysuit Leg Openings
- Sewalong : Hem
- Sewing Technique : Lettuce Hem
- Sewing Technique : Shell Tuck Stitch / Scallop Edge
- Hack : Sleeveless with Sleeve Bands
- Hack : Fully Enclosed Sleeveless
- Hack: Sleeve Ties
- Hack : Square Neckline
- Hack : Cinched Side Seams
- Hack : Ruffle Shoulders
- Hack : Maxi Dress
- Hack : Scoop Neckline
- Hack : Bodycon Dress
- Hack : Tiered Dress
- Tutorial : Lengthen or Shorten
- Tutorial : 3 Ways To Sew a Ringer Tee
- Rowan Inspiration and Ideas
- Rowan Tester Round Up
- Rowan Curve Tester Round Up
- Rowan Curve Maker Round Up