This is it! The last step of the Veronika sewalong for the woven views. We will finish with the hem!
Note: It is recommended to let your skirt hang on a dress form or hanger for a couple days.
That way you may correct any parts of the curve that may have stretched out. Just trim those areas down and correct the hemline curve before hemming.
First, you will sew a line of basting stitches 1/4” (6mm) from the raw edge all the way around the skirt hem. This is very helpful when hemming curves to ensure your hem stays even.
Next, you will fold inwards 1/4” (6mm) along the line of basting stitches and press.
Fold in again 1/4” (6mm), enclosing the raw edge and press.
Lastly, sew close to the folded edge of the hem and press.
Note: I like to use my edge stitch foot to keep the folded edge perfectly aligned. I just move my needle over a bit and sew along.
And that’s it! Congratulations on finishing the Veronika skirt!
I hope you’ve found this sewalong helpful and that you enjoy your beautiful new skirt!
// LOOKING FOR MORE VERONIKA POSTS? //
Here’s the full list of the upcoming Veronika posts and tutorials:
- Veronika is now available in extended sizes!
- Veronika Inspiration & Ideas
- How to // Pocket & Seams
- How to // Waistband & Zipper
- How to // Hemming (this post!)
- How to // Knit version
- Pattern hack // Paperbag waist
- Pattern hack // Veronika in Brocade
- How to // Sew a Horsehair Braid Hem
- A simple trick for evening out the hem of a circle skirt