The Wattle skirt is one of those patterns you’ll find yourself making over and over again in different lengths, new fabrics, changing up the closure or the waist band! There are really an endless stream of options available whether you prefer more or less volume with pleats or perhaps a bow at the side; a sleek bias cut midi in a floral pattern or a maxi for a special occasion; or even a play on the perfect summer basic, the denim skirt. You’ll be spoilt for choice!
- Find a striped fabric and test out your pattern matching skills or completely go against the grain and place your stripes in opposite directions!
- The perfect girly skirt to contrast with a comfy denim shirt or t-shirt is ANYTHING with polka dots. Small dots, large dots, colourful dots, textured dots…they’ll add the perfect amount of fun and femininity to your look.
- Use a heavy weight fabric with embroidered stripes or dots to give structure and volume to your skirt.
- Florals on a skirt are about as groundbreaking as florals in spring…however they certainly never go astray. Add a striped top and you’re immediately in Spring/Summer, feminine/chic territory.
- Extend your skirt length for a beautiful elegant silouette, add heels and you’re ready for a night out.
- Extending the Wattle skirt to the floor is a version we’re desperate to try! The sleek lines of bias cut View A and D are the perfect base to add length and keep a smooth line over your waist and hips.
- Use a heavy weight denim for a modest longer skirt perfect for day time.
- Create a structured bias cut skirt in thick denim for a vintage look.
- A lighter weight denim would be darling in any of the versions but especially the pleated and gathered view B and C. Incredibly comfortable you could pair it with almost any top and shoe…the perfect basic.
// LOOKING FOR MORE WATTLE POSTS? //
Here’s the full list of the upcoming Wattle posts and tutorials:
- Pattern Tester Round-up
- Inspiration + Ideas (this post!)
- Pockets (all views)
- Bias Cut seams (views A & D) and Tips for Pattern Matching
- Pleats (view B) and Alternate Pleat Patterns
- Gathers (view C)
- Button Waistband
- Tie Waistband
Don’t have the Wattle sewing pattern yet?! Order Wattle today! We absolutely love seeing what you make, so don’t forget to tag your creations with #MNwattle and @megannielsenpatterns when sharing on social media, and check out what everyone else is up to!