I have a really easy set of Rowan pattern alterations for you today! I’ve had a lot of questions on how to alter this pattern for a longer torso, and the great news is it’s a very straightforward adjustment.
Click through for the steps!
The first step is to figure out how much you need to lengthen the torso by. I would also recommend tracing the pattern before making any adjustments to preserve the original pattern.
The pattern already includes lengthen/shorten lines, so once it is traced, simply cut along this line and spread the pattern by the desired amount. Place additional paper behind the pattern pieces to cover the gap, tape in place, and then true the side seams by trimming the excess paper away and ensuring your seamlines are still nice curves.
To shorten the torso you would follow the same method, but instead of spreading the pattern pieces apart, you would overlap them by the desired amount before taping and truing the seams.
Told you it was easy!
You can actually lengthen or shorten the tee variations in the exact same way, by slashing and spreading the pattern at the waistline – but I’d like to propose a simpler method for the tee. For tee variations I would personally simply add onto the hemline. It’s faster and you can do it on the fly once your fabric is laid out, by simply cutting beyond the hemline by how much longer you need your tee. Easy peasy my dears!
// LOOKING FOR MORE ROWAN POSTS? //
- Inspiration and ideas for sewing your Rowan
- Rowan Pattern tester Roundup
- Rowan Curve Pattern Tester Roundup
- Rowan Curve Maker Roundup
- How to stabilise fabric with tissue paper
- How to lengthen or shorten the pattern (this post!)
- How to sew a V neck on knit fabric
- How to insert a neck back with a regular sewing machine
- How to sew a snap crotch bodysuit
- Pattern Hack: How to Add Ruffle Shoulders
- Pattern Hack: Rowan maxi dress variation
- Pattern Hack: Scoop neckline variation
- Pattern Hack: Bodycon Dress
- Pattern Hack: 3 Ways to Sew Ringer Tee
- Pattern Hack: Tiered Gathered Dress
We’d love to see what you’re creating from the Rowan bodysuit and tee pattern or the Rowan Curve bodysuit and tee pattern! Don’t forget to tag your creations #MNRowan and @megannielsenpatterns to share what you’ve been working on, and check out what everyone else is up to!