If you find yourself in the crossover 14-20 sizes and are struggling to choose between the Matilda and Matilda Curve patterns, I thought it might help to provide a bit of visual comparison between them! Today I’ll be sharing a diagram comparing a size 18 from our 0-20 range shown in outline, to the size 18 in the Curve range as shown in green. As there are a large number of pattern pieces I have only shown the main bodice pattern pieces as I believe these really illustrate the key differences best.
As with all of our patterns, Matilda sizes 0-20 have been drafted for a 2″ (5cm) difference between the upper bust and full bust measurement. Matilda Curve sizes 14-30 have been drafted for a 4” (10cm) difference between the upper bust and full bust measurement. The Curve pattern is drafted with the same style and design details but with a curvy figure in mind. In the image below you can see how that translates to the look and fit of the finished garments. We’ve compared a Matilda & Matilda Curve dress of the same size, but that are drafted for the two different cup sizes and body shapes.
As you can see we have tried to keep a consistent amount of overall ease in the Curve pattern. The Curve pattern includes a lower bust apex, more bust shaping for a better bust fit on fuller busts, and a narrower upper bust. For both patterns, the natural waistline should sit at the bottom waistband seam, rather than through the centre of the waistband. The Curve pattern includes a higher natural waistline and wider waistband. The sleeve and sleeve band both include more ease in the Curve pattern and the armscye includes more room.
If you find yourself in the crossover of the two ranges in sizes 14-20 we recommend that you choose your pattern based on your high bust to full bust difference and natural waist height.
Both patterns come with the same awesome variations and all our tutorials and add-on ideas can be applied to either!
| LOOKING FOR MORE MATILDA POSTS? |
Here’s the full list of Matilda posts and tutorials:
- How to choose between Matilda & Matilda Curve (this post)
- Matilda Inspiration & Ideas
- Matilda Tester Roundup & Matilda Curve Tester Roundup
- How to Grade Matilda Between Sizes
- How to Lengthen or Shorten Matilda
- Matilda Broad Back Adjustment
- Sewalong | Skirt & Skirt Pockets
- Sewalong | Bodice & Breast Pockets
- Sewalong | Front & Back Yoke
- Sewalong | Waistband & Placket
- Sewalong | Collar & Stand
- Sewalong | Hemming & Sleeve Bands
- Sewalong | Inserting the Sleeves
- How to Sew Buttonholes Without An Automatic Function