pearl collared

October 18th, 2011

I am sooooo excited to show you all this detachable collar i made!!

A little while ago my friend Casey pinned this unbelievable vintage collar on Pinterest. I was in love – and heartbroken at the same time because I couldn’t have it. So I decided to make my own version! I first drafted the scallop edge collar, and then I begun the arduous task of beading it.

After almost 12 hours of solid bead work, I was finally done – exhausted, but thrilled beyond belief. It’s obviously not exactly the same as the original, but it’s close enough that i couldn’t be happier!!!

And don’t worry – I’ve got some detailed photos of the process that I’ll share with you in a few days – i just want to digitize the collar pattern first, so that you’ll have a pattern to download :)

So what do you think?!!?

Pearly detachable collar: Megan Nielsen
Sweater: Jcrew
Skirt: thrifted & hemmed
Shoes: Banana Republic
Belt: pinched from my moms closet years ago

1. Emily Keen says:

That is fantastic!!! What a great piece to have in your wardrobe! I can’t imagine how cramped your fingers must’ve been after beading for 12 hours ( i hope you had breaks!).

2. Jen says:

That. Is. GORGEOUS!! Totally worth the long hours! I MUST have one!

3. The collar is so beautiful! I’ve been looking for detachable collars on Etsy lately, and I love how you beaded this one. Wow!

4. Paunnet says:

It’s gorgeous! I can’t wait to see the tutorial!

5. Jen says:

The collar is beautiful!! You can see how much work went into it but hopefully it will be a family heirloom and worth it!

And I love your outfit– mustard and creme perfection! I’m dying for your skirt, I’ve been searching for a pleated creme skirt for a year!

6. Sarah says:

Wow, I can’t believe you made that! It looks like something you’d buy! I love your skirt too. I’ve been seeing a lot of pleated skirts on Pinterest lately. I just might have to go thrifting this weekend to look for one! :)

7. Lauren says:

Holy cow – that is one fantastic piece of craftsmanship and art. Just gorgeous!

8. Beading really can be a drag, but a lot of times, like with this collar, it is totally worth it.

9. Casey says:

GORGEOUS!!! I’ve been contemplating making a beaded collar (not that I need one–I have one vintage piece already; but more than one is never bad, right? ;), and now you’ve inspired me! I’ve been whipping up just plain fabric collars of late, but your embellished version easily tops those! :)

10. Sorcha says:

Oh, my, that’s beautiful! I can’t believe you hand-sewed all those beads!

Sorcha x
    Bonfire Brunette

11. [...] I loved Megan’s handmade pearl collar. How amazing is [...]

12. Cecily says:

Omg! its a wonderfull work..i´m sure that if i see the original i would want it too! Great job ;)

xx

13. Carolyn says:

Gorgeous! Would love a tutorial. Very beautiful styling of it also.

14. Whoa, I’ve said it before. I’ll say it again. Need your skillz!

15. matea says:

wow really inspiring, i want make thise !!

16. Anna says:

The collar is great, but I especially love than skirt! The whole outfit is super cute!

17. [...] last time i was into beading, i made this detachable collar, (tutorial here), and it kind of wore me out. But now i’m wondering whether [...]

18. Katie says:

This entire outfit really is stunning. The colors are perfect on you too.

19. [...] promised a few weeks ago, I’ve put together a pattern and some instructions for how you can create your own beaded [...]