Menu
Creative life / Inspiration

Inspire me: beading

I’ve been in clean up mode recently (holidays get me that way), and i found these old slippers from when i was a child. Its funny how much i couldn’t stop thinking about them. They’ve gotten me excited about beading again.

The last time i was into beading, i made this detachable collar, (tutorial here), and it kind of wore me out. But now i’m wondering whether a little beading might just go a long way on a few future projects.

I think if i do it tastefully, and with restraint, i can keep it on trend and avoid taking it into grandma territory. Thoughts?

About Author

Meg is the Founder and Creative Director of Megan Nielsen Patterns, and is constantly dreaming up ideas for new sewing patterns and ways to make your sewing journey more enjoyable! She gets really excited about design details and is always trying to add way too many variations to our patterns.

Notify of
guest
7 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
June
9 years ago

Check out alabamachanin.com for examples of a little beading going a long way. Beautiful stuff there, a lot of inspirational pieces, too.

angela
9 years ago
Reply to  June

Yes, the alabama chanin beading is absolutely amazing!!! I am working on an alabama chanin skirt right now!!

Sunni
9 years ago

I love beading! But you are right in that sometimes it can take on a “granny-ish” look. But those slippers are so beautiful. What a wonderful thing to wear on your feet as a kid. I did beading and such as a kid – what a great idea to bring it back.

Courtney
9 years ago

oohhh, how lovely! love the collar too.

Cassandra
9 years ago

I remember OOOOH so carefully putting some sparkly beads on a black top back when I was 18. Definitely chic, not granny, and I thought I looked pretty flash! I love beading, and those shoes are totally gorgeous :) I’m not surprised that collar burned you out for a while, but it’s so beautiful, you should wear it every day!!

Chili
Chili
9 years ago

I can’t wait to see your ideas! You always think up unique but simple DIY-things!
As I read your post, I remembered an embellished top from the House On Hillroad blog, here is the link, maybe you want to take a look:

Moniek
Moniek
8 years ago

Lovely slippers. Are they for sale????

Moniek