This is the final post of our Hovea jacket construction! If you’ve decided to skip the ties, and add a belt and beltloops instead – that is what we will be finishing up today. This works best with the longer view C, or even the mid-length view A. It really wouldn’t work with the cropped version, though, FYI. And also – it doesn’t have to just be for the collar band versions. You could also do this with the quilted longer view D as well! So many options.
Ok, let’s finish this up…
// BELT //
Place the two belt pieces right sides together and line up the short edges on one side.
Sew the pieces together along one short edge, 5/8” from the raw edge.
Press the seam open.
Fold the belt in half with right sides together.
Sew around the raw edges of the belt, 5/8” from the edge, along the short edges and the long edge, leaving a gap of around 3”.
Don’t forget to leave that opening!
Clip the corners of the seam allowance.
Turn the belt the right way round by pushing through the gap in the stitches.
Use a pointing tool to make the corners of the belt ends square.
Close the gap in the belt by either hand sewing or by topstitching.
// BELT LOOPS //
Fold the belt loop in half with right sides together.
Sew 1/4” from the raw edge.
Trim back the seam allowance.
Using a loop turner or safety pin, turn the belt loops to the right side.
Cut the belt loop piece in half to create two belt loops.
Fold in 1/4” at each end of the two belt loops and press.
Because everyones waistline is different, there are no notches for belt loop placement on the pattern. Try on your coat to find the perfect position for your belt loops for your natural waistline.
Place the belt loops on the right side of the coat, over the side seams, in the desired position.
Stitch in place along the top and bottom edges of the belt loops.
Thread your belt through the loops and you are ready to wear!
| LOOKING FOR MORE HOVEA POSTS? |
Here’s the full list of Hovea inspiration and ideas:
- Inspiration & Ideas for Hovea
- Hovea Tester Roundup & Hovea Curve Tester Roundup
- Traditional Korean Textile Arts with Youngmin Lee
- Beginner Quilting concepts with The Weekend Quilter
- Top 10 tips from a quilters first journey into Me Made Clothing with Shannon Fraser
- Introduction to Indian Kantha Quilting with Manjari Singh
- Simple Log Cabin patchwork tutorial with Scribbly Gum Quilting Co
- Wholecloth quilting with Natalie Ebaugh
- Introduction to Japanese textiles and embroidery with Mari Yamada
- How to make a patchwork quilt design without a pattern with Broadcloth Studio
- Modern Quilting with Porfiria Gomez
Here’s the full list of Hovea tutorials & Hacks:
- Sewalong | How to Choose Between Hovea & Hovea Curve
- Sewalong | Common Hovea pattern alterations
- Sewalong | Quilting prep
- Sewalong | Quilting Design & Planning
- Sewalong | Machine quilting
- Sewalong | Tips for making a patchwork jacket from scrap fabrics
- Sewalong | Basic Binding Method for quilt coats
- Sewalong | Pockets and Seams Quilted Views BDF
- Sewalong | Inset Sleeves Quilted Views BDF
- Sewalong | Final Finishes Quilted View BDF
- Sewalong | Washing Your Quilted Hovea Jacket
- Pattern Hack | Sewing a Hovea Dressing gown
- Pattern Hack | How to make a quilt coat from a vintage bed quilt
- Sewalong | Unlined pockets Views ACE
- Sewalong | Lined pockets Views ACE
- Sewalong | Flat Sleeve Insertion Views ACE
- Sewalong | Ties & Hang Loop Views ACE
- Sewalong | Hemming Unlined Views ACE
- Sewalong | Full Lining Views ACE
- Sewalong | Collar band Views ACE
- Sewalong | Belt & Belt Loops Views ACE( this post!)
Don’t have the pattern yet?!