If you are making view B, D, or F of the Hovea jacket – this is your final post! It’s just these final details left. And those details include – ties (optional), hang loop (also optional), and the final edge binding around the entire neckline and sleeve hems. You’re just about there – almost done!
// TIES //
Fold each tie in half with right sides together.
Sew each ties together 1/4″ from the raw edge.
Using a loop turner or other turning tool, turn each tie the right way around. Press each tie.
Finish one raw short end of each tie by folding it under 1/4″….
and then folding it under again 1/4″…
And then topstitching close to the fold.
Place the ties on the neckline opening so that they are aligned with the top edge of the pockets.
Staystitch in place just under 3/8″ from the edge.
// HANG LOOP //
Fold the hang loop in half, right sides together. Sew 1/4″ from the raw edge along the long side, just like with the ties.
Use a loop turner or other turning tool to turn the hang loop right side out.
Press the loop flat, first.
And then fold the edges of the hang loop upwards so that you create a little U shape which is roughly 1 1/8” wide and 1” tall.
Mark the center back of your jacket.
Place the hang loop on the center back neckline and pin in place.
Stitch in place just under 3/8” from the raw edge.
// OUTER EDGE BINDING //
Now we just need to attach bias binding around the entire outer edge of the jacket, using the basic binding method that we went over at the beginning of the sewalong.
I like to start my binding at the bottom center center back.
Carefully ease the binding around the curved edge.
When you reach the ties, make sure they are laying flat towards the side seam.
Continue pinning your bias binding around the entire outer edge of the jacket in one continuous loop.
Choose your method for combining the edges of the continuous binding, as mentioned in the bias binding post.
There is no need to grade back the seam around the entire jacket. But it is recommended you grade back the seam where the pockets are, because there is extra bulk there.
Continue your binding steps…
Finishing it with either handstitching or topstitching.
Repeat the same process of bias binding with the two sleeve hems, and you’re done!
| LOOKING FOR MORE HOVEA POSTS? |
Here’s the full list of Hovea inspiration and ideas:
- Inspiration & Ideas for Hovea
- Hovea Tester Roundup
- Hovea Curve Tester Roundup
- Hovea Planning Template
- Traditional Korean Textile Arts with Youngmin Lee
- Beginner Quilting concepts with The Weekend Quilter
- Top 10 tips from a quilters first journey into Me Made Clothing with Shannon Fraser
- Introduction to Indian Kantha Quilting with Manjari Singh
- Simple Log Cabin patchwork tutorial with Scribbly Gum Quilting Co
- Wholecloth quilting with Natalie Ebaugh
- Introduction to Japanese textiles and embroidery with Mari Yamada
- How to make a patchwork quilt design without a pattern with Broadcloth Studio
- Modern Quilting with Porfiria Gomez
- Making a patchwork jacket with leftover fabric
Here’s the full list of Hovea tutorials & Hacks:
- Sewalong | How to Choose Between Hovea & Hovea Curve
- Sewalong | Common Hovea pattern alterations
- Sewalong | Quilting prep
- Sewalong | Quilting Design & Planning
- Sewalong | Machine quilting
- Sewalong | Tips for making a patchwork jacket from scrap fabrics
- Sewalong | Basic Binding Method for quilt coats
- Sewalong | Pockets and Seams Quilted Views BDF
- Sewalong | Inset Sleeves Quilted Views BDF
- Sewalong | Final Finishes Quilted View BDF (this post!)
- Sewalong | Tips for Hand Quilting
- Pattern Hack | Tips for making Hovea reversible
- Pattern Hack | Sewing a Hovea Dressing gown
- Pattern Hack | How to make a quilt coat from a vintage bed quilt
- Sewalong | Unlined pockets Views ACE
- Sewalong | Lined pockets Views ACE
- Sewalong | Flat Sleeve Insertion Views ACE
- Sewalong | Ties & Hang Loop Views ACE
- Sewalong | Hemming Unlined Views ACE
- Sewalong | Full Lining Views ACE
- Sewalong | Collar band Views ACE
- Sewalong | Belt & Belt Loops Views ACE
Don’t have the pattern yet?!