If you find yourself in the crossover 14-20 sizes and are struggling to choose between the Protea & Protea Curve Patterns, today I will be sharing a visual comparison between them! Our diagrams will compare a size 18 from our 0-20 range shown in outline, to the size 18 in the Curve range as shown in beige.
As with all of our patterns, Protea sizes 0-20 have been drafted for a 2″ (5cm) difference between the upper bust and full bust measurement. Protea Curve sizes 14-34 have been drafted for a 4” (10cm) difference between the upper bust and full bust measurement. The Curve pattern is drafted with the same style and design details but with a curvy figure in mind.
The Curve pattern includes a larger dart for a better bust fit on fuller busts, as well as a narrower upper bust. The dart for the Curve pattern is a cut-out dart which reduces fabric bulk and allows the dart to sit well. The dart apex for the Curve pattern is lower than the 0-20 pattern.
For both patterns, the waistline of the dress should hit around the natural waist, or slightly above. The sleeves include more bicep ease in the Curve pattern and a lower sleeve head. The sleeve length for the fitted sleeve is slightly longer in Curve in line with our tester’s preferences. The blouse and skirt lengths are also longer in the Curve pattern as per our tester’s preferences.
And finally, the waist channel is slightly wider in the Curve pattern to maintain proportion, and the necklines are slightly narrower in the Curve pattern consistent with the narrower shoulder and upper bust that the pattern is drafted for.
If you find yourself in the crossover of the two ranges in sizes 14-20 we recommend that you choose your pattern based on your high bust to full bust difference as well as the sleeve opening. These measurements are included in the size chart of each pattern.
Both patterns come with the same awesome variations and all our tutorials and add-on ideas can be applied to either!
I hope you have found this breakdown on how to choose between Protea and Protea Curve helpful. If you have any questions or need any further help please let me know in the comments!
LOOKING FOR MORE PROTEA POSTS?
- How to choose between Protea & Protea Curve (this post!)
- Protea Inspiration & Ideas
- Protea Tester Round Up & Protea Curve Tester Round Up
- Hacks for the Protea Curve Capsule Wardrobe
- Sewalong: Staystitching, Darts & Shoulder Seams
- Sewalong: Neckline Facing
- Sewalong: Side Seams & Sleeves
- Bonus Protea Hack: Sleeveless Protea
- Sewalong: Dress Drawstring Channel
- Sewalong: Pockets & Skirt
- Sewalong: Tiered Skirt
- Sewalong: Attaching the Skirt to the Bodice
- Sewalong: Dress Drawstring
- Sewalong: Skirt Waistband
- Sewalong: Hem
- Bonus Protea Hack: Elastic Puff Sleeves
- Bonus Protea Hack: Removing Bust Darts