One of the things i found sad about the timing of our decision to move back to Australia – was that I had JUST started decorating our house the way I like it.
I had spent a lot of time moving my work area to the basement so that I could convert the sunroom into a playroom for the kids – and was getting really close to finishing that room and beginning to feel really good about how it all looked. So it was more than a little heartbreaking to take it all down so soon!
Anyway, one of the things I had been really wanting to do for ages was to hang a cute bunting on the wall. I’d seen heaps of adorable fabric ones, but none really clicked. I wanted to put up some alphabet posters – and then suddenly the two ideas combined into one! An alphabet bunting!! At first i was planning to make it completely sewn – and then i got real, and realised i would never finish that project. Thats when i got the idea of using flashcards!
I had been waiting to post about this little project till i was “done” but since it’s going to be a while till we have a new playroom set up, i don’t want to wait!
I really love how it turned out – even though we only got to enjoy it for a few weeks, and even though i never finished hanging up all the kiddos cute pictures. I really can’t wait to pull all those things out of boxes!
Want to make one too??
I think you will love this project – not only is it a quick satisfy project, but it’s cheap! If you have the supplies lying around, you could probably do this for nothing!
All you need is flash cards & some double fold bias tape!
We have literally tonnes of flash cards lying around (these are my ultimate favourite), but i decided to use a free printable flashcard set so that if i messed up i could just do it again and not feel too wasteful.
I used this set of free printable flash cards. I had some card stock at home and a pretty good printer so i just printed them myself – but if you decided to get them printed at a printers, it would be under $5
Sooooo maybe you don’t have the right supplies, or you’re feeling lazy and the idea of sewing is putting you off – or you just don’t sew. Don’t worry! You can do something very similar in lots of ways:
- Instead of using bias tape, use ribbon! You can fold it in half width ways like the bias tape would, or just leave it flat.
- Instead of bias tape use string – fold over the top edge of the card to enclose the string and either glue or staple shut
- Instead of sewing the tape to the cards you may like to use glue or even staples – especially if you don’t think this is going to be a long term decoration
- Cut squares of fabric the same size and write the letters on with marker pen or fabric pen.
- Cut pieces of paper the size you want, and write the letters on – you could even get your kiddo to colour/ decorate the pieces to make it more personal