Hi friends! It’s time to get started on the construction of Protea! We’re going to cover the first few steps in this post since they are quick and easy. We’ll go over staystitching, darts and shoulder seams! So let’s get started.
Staystitch around the Front and Back neckline 5/8″ (1.5 cm) from the raw edge. This will prevent the neckline from stretching during construction.
For the square neckline, do the same, pivoting at the corners.
Using the pattern piece, mark your dart points and leg ends on your bodice front, wrong side of the fabric.
You can easily transfer and mark the dart points by poking a hole through the dart point on the pattern piece.
You can also draw the dart legs using a ruler if you prefer, so it’s easier to line everything up for sewing.
Make the darts by folding down the centre of each dart with right sides of the fabric together, ensuring that the dart legs match up.
Pin in place on the wrong side of the fabric.
Sew the darts from the side seam towards the dart point, tapering off slightly at the end of the dart. Don’t backstitch, and leave thread tails at the point.
Tie off your threads at the dart point to secure them, before trimming.
Press the darts downwards towards the waist.
Place the Front and the Back right sides together so that the shoulder seams and notches line up.
Sew along the shoulder seam 5/8″ (1.5 cm) from the raw edge. Finish the raw edge by your preferred method, such as stitching with a zig-zag stitch or overlocking/serging.
Press seams open or towards the back of the garment.
LOOKING FOR MORE PROTEA POSTS?
- How to choose between Protea & Protea Curve
- Protea Inspiration & Ideas
- Protea Tester Round-Up & Protea Curve Tester Round-Up
- Hacks for the Protea Curve Capsule Wardrobe
- Protea Maker Round-Up
- Sewalong: Staystitching, Darts & Shoulder Seams (this post!)
- Sewalong: Neckline Facing
- Sewalong: Side Seams & Sleeves
- Bonus Protea Hack: Sleeveless Protea
- Sewalong: Dress Drawstring Channel
- Sewalong: Pockets & Skirt
- Sewalong: Tiered Skirt
- Sewalong: Attaching the Skirt to the Bodice
- Sewalong: Dress Drawstring
- Sewalong: Skirt Waistband
- Sewalong: Hem
- Bonus Protea Hack: Elastic Puff Sleeves