If you added a drawstring channel to your Protea dress to cinch in the waist, you’ve got to add a drawstring belt now! The Protea pattern doesn’t come with a drawstring pattern piece, but I’m going to show you how to make your own, in addition to using something pre-made.
If you have any cord, ribbon, etc, you can easily just use that as your drawstring!
After determining how long you want it, simply attach a safety pin or bodkin to one end.
Thread the drawstring through one channel opening…
… around the entire waist and back through the second channel opening.
Make Your Own Drawstring Belt
Don’t have anything to use for a drawstring? Make your own! You can make it any width that fits through the channel. So you can make a thin drawstring, similar to the cording I used above. Or you can make a wide one that’s as wide as the channel. I’m going to show you the wider option below.
Measure around your waist and determine how long you want your drawstring belt to be.
Determine your desired width. And then cut your fabric strip with that width x 2 + 1″ for seam allowance.
For my wide belt here, I cut my long strip 4″ wide.
Fold your belt in half with right sides together.
With a 1/2″ seam allowance, sew along both short ends and the long end. But leave a couple-inch gap opening in the centre!
Here’s the gap left in the centre. We’ll be turning the belt right side out through this opening.
Clip the corners.
Now pull the belt right side out through the opening.
Press flat, and close the opening by topstitching or slip-stitching it closed!
Thread through the channel the same way as above, with either a safety pin or a bodkin.
LOOKING FOR MORE PROTEA POSTS?
- How to choose between Protea & Protea Curve
- Protea Inspiration & Ideas
- Protea Tester Round Up & Protea Curve Tester Round Up
- Hacks for the Protea Capsule Wardrobe
- Protea Maker Round-Up
- Sewalong: Staystitching, Darts & Shoulder Seams
- Sewalong: Neckline Facing
- Sewalong: Side Seams & Sleeves
- Bonus Protea Hack: Sleeveless Protea
- Sewalong: Dress Drawstring Channel
- Sewalong: Pockets & Skirt
- Sewalong: Tiered Skirt
- Sewalong: Attaching the Skirt to the Bodice
- Sewalong: Dress Drawstring (this post!)
- Sewalong: Skirt Waistband
- Sewalong: Hem
- Bonus Protea Hack: Elastic Puff Sleeves