For all of you making a Protea dress, today is for you. After working on the top and bottom portions separately, we’re finally going to put them together! That’s right, time to attach the skirt to the bodice!
In our previous post, we assembled our skirt (or top tier if you’re doing a tiered skirt), with the pockets, and sewn our rows of basting stitches along the top edge. Reminder: basting stitches were sewn side seam to side seam, with the pockets out of the way and not included.
To gather, simply hold the skirt stationary and pull on one of the threads to gather up the skirt.
Gather until it is roughly the width of the bottom of your bodice piece.
Place the bodice inside the gathered skirt with right sides together and so that the waistline raw edges are aligned.
Ensure that the side seams are aligned as well as the centre front and centre back. Ease your gathers into the waistline, adjusting the gathers using the loose threads. Pin in place.
Remember, this whole time, the pockets have been out of the way, facing away from the front of the skirt, not included in the gathering or pinning.
Flip pockets to the front of the garment (make sure it’s the front of your dress!
Repin where the pockets lie. The gathering of the skirt will now be sandwiched between the bodice and pockets in this area now.
Sew around the entire waistline 5/8″ (1.5 cm) from the raw edge.
Finish the raw edges using your preferred method.
Press the seams upwards and away from the skirt.
If you’re making a dress with a drawstring channel, it is done the exact same way. Since you basted the channel to the bodice, it is treated as one piece.
And the channel will be sandwiched in between the bodice and skirt when sewn together.
After sewing, the drawstring channel can be pressed either up or down, depending on your preference.
But, if you would like to secure the channel to the dress, press it up towards the bodice and topstitch along the upper edge of the channel.
LOOKING FOR MORE PROTEA POSTS?
- How to choose between Protea & Protea Curve
- Protea Inspiration & Ideas
- Protea Tester Round Up & Protea Curve Tester Round Up
- Hacks for the Protea Capsule Wardrobe
- Protea Maker Round-Up
- Sewalong: Staystitching, Darts & Shoulder Seams
- Sewalong: Neckline Facing
- Sewalong: Side Seams & Sleeves
- Bonus Protea Hack: Sleeveless Protea
- Sewalong: Dress Drawstring Channel
- Sewalong: Pockets & Skirt
- Sewalong: Tiered Skirt
- Sewalong: Attaching the Skirt to the Bodice (this post!)
- Sewalong: Dress Drawstring
- Sewalong: Skirt Waistband
- Sewalong: Hem
- Bonus Protea Hack: Elastic Puff Sleeves