And now on to the second pocket option for views A, C, or E of the Hovea jacket – lined pockets! I’m going to be showing you this method on the longer coat view C. But again, it can be done an any three of the views.
Cut out lightweight fusible interfacing for the two pocket facings.
Apply the interfacing to the wring side of the facings.
Place the pocket facing and pocket lining right sides together so that the raw edges are aligned.
The facing edge that joins to the lining does not have a notch. As the pocket facing edge is convex and the pocket lining edge is concave you may need to ease them into each other.
Sew the facing to the lining 3/8” from the raw edge.
Press the facing and seam allowance up away from the lining.
Optional: You may edge stitch close to the seam on the facing to keep the seam allowances in place.
Now place your main pocket fabric down with the right side of the fabric facing up.
Place the lining + facing right sides together with the main pocket fabric so that the pocket opening notches are aligned at the top.
Pin in place and sew together 5/8″ from the raw edge.
As the pocket opening is slightly curved you may need to clip into the seam allowance in a few places to allow it to fold back to the wrong side cleanly.
Press the lining/facing and seam allowance up away from the main pocket fabric.
Understitch next to the seam along the pocket facing edge, less than 1/8” from the seam.
Turn the lining + facing to the wrong side and press.
If sewing the jacket Views A & E you can now place the pockets onto your jacket fronts & staystitch as per the Unlined Pocket instructions.
For longer length view C, staystitch along the bottom edge of the pocket 5/8” from the edge.
Turn the bottom edge in along the staystitching and press.
Make sure you transfer the pocket placement notches from the pattern to your front fabric. Make sure you mark the appropriate notches for which view you ae making. View C is slightly lower than views A & E.
Place the pocket on the coat front aligning the top edge of the pocket with the coat notches on the pattern and pin in place.
Topstitch along the bottom edge of the pocket close to the fold to attach to the coat front.
Staystitch along the center front and side seams from the raw edge.
Here you can see the topstitching close to edge at the bottom and the 5/8″ staystitching along the side.
Alternatively, if you are making the cropped or mid length views, see the unlined pockets instructions to see how to staystitch the pockets on.
Repeat for the other pocket.
| LOOKING FOR MORE HOVEA POSTS? |
Here’s the full list of Hovea inspiration and ideas:
- Inspiration & Ideas for Hovea
- Hovea Tester Roundup
- Hovea Curve Tester Roundup
- Hovea Planning Template
- Traditional Korean Textile Arts with Youngmin Lee
- Beginner Quilting concepts with The Weekend Quilter
- Top 10 tips from a quilters first journey into Me Made Clothing with Shannon Fraser
- Introduction to Indian Kantha Quilting with Manjari Singh
- Simple Log Cabin patchwork tutorial with Scribbly Gum Quilting Co
- Wholecloth quilting with Natalie Ebaugh
- Introduction to Japanese textiles and embroidery with Mari Yamada
- How to make a patchwork quilt design without a pattern with Broadcloth Studio
- Modern Quilting with Porfiria Gomez
- Making a patchwork jacket with leftover fabric
Here’s the full list of Hovea tutorials & Hacks:
- Sewalong | How to Choose Between Hovea & Hovea Curve
- Sewalong | Common Hovea pattern alterations
- Sewalong | Quilting prep
- Sewalong | Quilting Design & Planning
- Sewalong | Machine quilting
- Sewalong | Tips for making a patchwork jacket from scrap fabrics
- Sewalong | Basic Binding Method for quilt coats
- Sewalong | Pockets and Seams Quilted Views BDF
- Sewalong | Inset Sleeves Quilted Views BDF
- Sewalong | Final Finishes Quilted View BDF
- Pattern Hack | Tips for making Hovea reversible
- Pattern Hack | Sewing a Hovea Dressing gown
- Pattern Hack | How to make a quilt coat from a vintage bed quilt
- Sewalong | Unlined pockets Views ACE
- Sewalong | Lined pockets Views ACE (this post!)
- Sewalong | Flat Sleeve Insertion Views ACE
- Sewalong | Ties & Hang Loop Views ACE
- Sewalong | Hemming Unlined Views ACE
- Sewalong | Full Lining Views ACE
- Sewalong | Collar band Views ACE
- Sewalong | Belt & Belt Loops Views ACE
We absolutely love seeing what you make, so don’t forget to tag your creations with #MNhovea and @megannielsenpatterns when sharing on social media, and check out what everyone else is up to!
Don’t have the pattern yet?!