The Veronika skirt has been part of our Newsletter Subscriber Freebies since 2015, available when you sign up for our Megan Nielsen Patterns newsletter. It’s one of our quiet achievers, a super simple but classy pattern that is a wonderful beginner sew but also a quick make for anyone more experienced. Easy to dress up or down, we’ve had SO much fun planning the re-release of this pattern in our extended sizing! There are also a few super easy ways to mix it up…take a look at some of our inspirational ideas! one // two // three // four
- Add a different waistband and closure to your Veronika skirt to make it a little more tailored.
- Do you have a wrap top pattern you love? Why not make it together with Veronika to create a wrap dress look!
- Using geometric fabric or a light floral can completely change the look of the skirt. With a light fabric, you’ll get a much more streamlined look, perfect to team with a white tank!
Looking for a perfect formal skirt pattern, Veronika is such a beautiful base to work from! The simple choice of thick formal fabric like brocade, heavyweight satin or even neoprene can add wonderful structure to the skirt. Hemming the skirt with horsehair braid will add just enough body and fullness to make the hem really pop.
Veronika is a full circle, flowy, glamourous skirt with an obvious ‘circular’ shape. The fullness, however, can be a little much for some people, so if you’re looking for a slightly less full option (or if your favourite fabric isn’t quite stretching to the full skirt), it’s really easy to create a half-circle skirt instead!
This isn’t a groundbreaking hack, we know! But…take a look at how incredible Veronika would look in maxi length! Simple edits to the waistband, adding in a slit up the front if you wanted some extra shape or simply creating a less full half or quarter circle skirt makes it a wonderful maxi skirt!
It’s a simple addition to any skirt to add a layer of lace, chiffon or pleated chiffon over the top of your base layer. Make your overlay and opaque lining as if they were individual skirts, with separate seams and hems to preserve their flowy-ness, and simply combine them when you attach the waistband! Easy peasy!
// LOOKING FOR MORE VERONIKA POSTS? //
Here’s the full list of the upcoming Veronika posts and tutorials:
- Veronika is now available in extended sizes!
- How to // Pocket & Seams
- How to // Waistband & Zipper
- How to // Hemming
- Veronika Inspiration and Ideas (this post!)
- How to // Knit version
- Pattern hack // Paperbag waist
- Pattern hack // Veronika in Brocade
- How to // Sew a Horsehair Braid Hem
- A simple trick for evening out the hem of a circle skirt