Menu
From The Workroom / News & Updates

rebranding + patterns in print!

You guys! I’m so excited to tell you about what we’ve been working on behind the scenes over the last few months (not this hehe).

Our patterns are going back into print! We’ve redesigned our branding and made our patterns even better! can you see me dancing! ALL CAPS EXCITEMENT

There’s a lot i want to tell you, but here’s the most important part: we will have paper patterns in May! You will be able to buy them through our store directly and also through local retailers (sidebar: if there is a store near you that you want to see our patterns in, tell them about us, and tell us about them! And if you’re a store reading this, email my right hand babe Sarah). As always we will announce the patterns to our newsletter subscribers first, so if you’d like to know as soon as patterns are available, make sure you sign up!

Ready to dig in to details?

Last year we decided to jump back into selling printed patterns again. I’m really glad i took a break from print patterns during my pregnancy and baby time, it was important and valuable. But I’ve missed paper, and i know you have too! As i alluded to before, during my maternity leave we used the time to assess our patterns and how everyone uses them. Which led us to putting a lot of time into finding a better way to print our patterns and a better way to get them to you. I feel like i know more about you, my amazing friends and customers, and myself since i launched my sewing patterns way back in 2010. So instead of doing things exactly the same as we had before, i decided to hit reset. Use everything we’ve learnt and create an even better brand, and an even better sewing experience. Though it’s been stressful at times, I’ve really enjoyed the process of rethinking our brand and what i want it to look like right now.

When we decided to go back into print, i knew i wanted to rebrand/redesign our packaging. I have absolutely loved my branding, but it was time for a fresh look. I worked with the incredibly talented Yvette of YB Creative, and i absolutely love the clean minimalist design she created for us. Working with Yvette was such a pleasure, i feel like she really understood what i wanted, and added so many special elements. We spent a (very) long time going over every single detail of our pattern instructions and cover packaging to make sure all the info you could ever need was covered. They’re simple to use, and if you ask me, gorgeous. That matters to me, i really enjoy using beautiful things and i’m sure you do too. These are some little peeks at the proofs, and i’m really thrilled with them!

Artwork wise, i made the big move to creating my own cover art. Sketching is one of my favourite elements of design, and for years Chris has been pushing me to do my own cover art. I’m so grateful for his nagging encouragement. Sometimes he knows me better than i do. It was such a rewarding and enjoyable process to work on my own cover art, and it feels so good to look at my pattern covers and feel like they are truly a reflection of me. This has also allowed me to show more variations than i have before which i’m really thrilled about!

We have also moved to a manufacturer that can handle the large print runs we require (i talk a little bit about our old production house in this post if you are interested). I’m really excited about this move, because aside from the fact that we can now order patterns in larger quantities than we ever did before, our new printer uses a larger print plate. Which I am seriously geeking out over, because it means i can offer more and larger pattern pieces that i have previously. In the past i’ve been held back by the size of our print plate, and haven’t been able to produce patterns with very large pieces, or large number of pieces. It was frustrating. But now, we can do more! Which means i’ve been able to update some of my patterns to include more pattern pieces and more variations. YES.

Our first print run will include the Darling Ranges dress, Tania culottes and our newest design the Brumby skirt. And the rest of my pattern catalog will follow.

The Darling Ranges was the first pattern i released, and has continued to be one of my favourites, and one of my most popular patterns. Since i now have a larger print plate to work with, for this release i’ve added new pattern pieces so that the dartless variations are easier to achieve! You can make the gathered waist dress, dartless dress and dartless blouse as before, except with full size pattern pieces. YES.

The Tania culottes are one of my favourite designs ever. I remember when i originally released it two years ago i was so nervous about how it would be received. It was so different to everything else! Little did i know culottes would soon have their moment, YAY! Since then i’ve had a lot of requests for longer culottes, so in this print run i’ve added two new variations to the pattern, and new pattern pattern pieces. Knee length culottes and midi culottes! Culottes for everyone! hehe

And here is our newest design! The Brumby skirt! I feel like i’ve made you guys wait so long for this one – I’m sorry – at least now you know why! This one will include three variations, as above. It’s one of my favourite designs from my 2010 winter collection (check out the full lookbook here), and it will be awesome to finally share it with you!

The last thing we’ve changed is where we store our patterns. As much as i loved having local storage in Perth, and as much as i love Australia, our shipping costs are insane. I couldn’t make it work. I suppose thats the downside of being a gorgeous island in the middle of the ocean hehe. Though you probably didn’t realise it before, i heavily subsidised all the shipping rates in the past in order to reduce them, and i still couldn’t bring them down to what most people would consider a reasonable level. sigh. So from now on all of our patterns will be stored in the USA and ship from the USA. This will mean lower shipping prices and shorter transit times for everyone. And if you live in Australia and are worried about what this will mean for you, we’ve done some extensive testing and found that the transit times to Aust and (shipping costs) are not too dissimilar to when i ship from Perth, so i’m hoping you shouldn’t notice much of a change at all.

Ok that’s it! What do you think?!

[Actually that’s not the last thing, i still have one surprise up my sleeve that i can’t reveal yet. I’m also winking but you can’t see that through the internet]

About Author

Meg is the Founder and Creative Director of Megan Nielsen Patterns, and is constantly dreaming up ideas for new sewing patterns and ways to make your sewing journey more enjoyable! She gets really excited about design details and is always trying to add way too many variations to our patterns.

Notify of
guest
52 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Ping
6 years ago

Oooh exciting!! Also I love that you’ve done your own cover art. I adore seeing your sketches on instagram!!

Jess
Jess
6 years ago

I thought the brumby was going to be a free pattern?

Louise
Louise

Congrats, these look fab! Will the Banksia pattern be coming back? Hope so! x

Laura B
Laura B
6 years ago

Fabulous, love your designs. Your sketches make it look even more special.

Ginger
6 years ago

I love your sketches!!! They look so beautiful!!! Congrats!

Lauralovespugs
Lauralovespugs
6 years ago

Yes!!! This is a dream come true. I hate PDF’s. I’ve got the Rangers and culottes pattern in PDF but I’m so looking forward to the Kelly and brumbry.

Love the art work, love you!! Xx

The Nerdy Seamstress
6 years ago

Ahhh! I’m so excited for this. I bought the cascade skirt pattern, but I haven’t taped it together yet. I can’t wait for the print to come out so I can but more patterns! I dream of having my our culottes too!

I’m happy that you’re doing your cover art because it’s beautiful!

Veronica Darling
6 years ago

I’m WINKING right back at you right now, which is incredibly geeky sitting by myself right now!

OK: The whole thing is SUPERB, congratulations and well down on having the space & baby time to think it all through and reset is perfect time.

I SHALL FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY get my hands on a Darling Ranges dress… It’s about time, right?! And that skirt is also perfectomundo!

Well done and talk soon Meg! Great work team! (And a pdf is handy, but superb you’re printing)

Kerry
Kerry
6 years ago

Congrats Meg! It’s great to hear such positive news after hearing another indie company has had to move away from paper printed patterns. Love the presentation!

Francesca
Francesca
Reply to  Meg

well – heartbroken and not. I read their statement, and it was very obvious that they really didn’t do their research beforehand. how can one not take into account the very obvious and expensive costs of renting a place in London? I just hope that the people who contributed to their kickstarter aren’t left hanging….

Carly
6 years ago

Congrats! Your sketches are divine and can’t wait to be the paper pattern for the Tanias! Yesssss!

Meg
Meg
6 years ago

Congratulations. The results of all your hard work look beautiful. Can I make a cheeky request for the Matilda Bay dress pattern (either as PDF or paper)? It looks fab! :o)

Francesca
Francesca
Reply to  Meg

Seconded! Adorable dress! As was the whole collection….

oonaballoona
6 years ago

so exciting, megan! the rebranding is gorgeous :)

heather
heather
6 years ago

yay!I love your Instagram feed and the midi culottes. I can’t wait to make them!

Brigid
6 years ago

Yay Megan!!! I am SOOO excited! Especially about the U.S. Shipping! YAY!

Hanne
6 years ago

The covers look amazing. I can’t wait to try out your newest pattern! It looks really cool :-)

Lynn
Lynn
6 years ago

will I finally be able to get a pattern for Banksia soon!?! Love the look of Brumby!

Coralie
6 years ago

Wow, it looks beautiful! Congrats on the re-branding, love those sketches!

yannick
yannick
6 years ago

Great news :-) if you already have a pdf version, can you update it with the new pattern pieces?

Francesca
Francesca
Reply to  yannick

yes, I was wondering about this too. I’m impressed with the gorgeousness of the new patterns, but feel a teeny bit cheesed off as I see myself having to buy the Culottes, Darling Ranges, and Banksia all over again (and I had bought paper patterns) I never got down to the hassle of lengthening the Culottes from the ridulously (sorry, but) short length so….

Francesca
Francesca
Reply to  Meg

oh, you are always such a sweetie! No, I’m not unhappy honey – but thank you for your reply – so kind:)

Jinii
Jinii
6 years ago

I am so excited. I am a very novice sewer but have had great success with your patterns in the past. Can’t wait for more options!!

Kieran
Kieran
6 years ago

This is so exciting! I already have the darling ranges dress (first pattern I ever made!) But I am super tempted to re-buy it when it comes out so I can have the dartless version. I tried to change it myself following your tutorial but it was an epic fail!

Issy
Issy

Hurrah! How exciting!

I can’t wait for the Brumby pattern :)

Are all the variations that you’ve made pattern pieces for the hacks that you’ve been showing on the blog? (I’m trying to see if I can justify re-buying some patterns I already own!)

Xanthe
6 years ago

I’d love to know if the dark denim dress in your 2010 lookbook with the Peter Pan collar and pockets will be available too? I don’t know its name sorry, but I love it!

Ashley
6 years ago

YaayYYY! I’m so excited to see new variations and printed patterns! Can’t wait!

Kat @ House of Lane
6 years ago

Woo hoo! This is very exciting news. I’ve been wanting to make the darling ranges and Tanya patterns so am excited to here they will both be in the first release. Congratulations on the rebranding. Your sketches are gorgeous! I’m so glad you decided to use them for the cover art.

Adeline
6 years ago

Just thought I’ll say Hi and what exciting news! I got pointed to your website while searching for culottes patterns, looks like I’m going to wait for the paper patterns!

Julie Bonnar
6 years ago

Brilliant news when so many companies are moving to PDF. Can’t wait to share the news. BTW love the sketchy illustrations.

Lori
Lori
6 years ago

Hi Megan. Great news! It will be fantastic to have the variations of the patterns right there in the instructions, very professional! I love that you are doing printed patterns again as I have just not take to the pdf trend! I am excited to try the culottes in several lengths. Also, I hope you can hurry and roll out the Eucalypt dress because I love it and can’t wait to make it for summer in the U.S.!

Kat Skinner
6 years ago

Wow Megan, its so great to hear that your back into printing your patterns. I do wish I was able to buy them here in Kuwait.
You are always such an inspiration, thank you.

KathleenS
KathleenS
6 years ago

I’m so excited you’re doing paper patterns again, and I will be buying Tania as soon as it comes out, even though I have it already in PDF.

trackback

[…] as often seems to happen, right after I bought the PDF Megan announced on her blog that soon all of her patterns will be available again as paper patterns.  She doesn’t say when the maternity line will be re-printed, but if you prefer paper over […]

Stephanie Gamble
Stephanie Gamble
2 years ago

Thank you for letting me join your sight