Menu
MN2303 Briar / Sewalongs / Sewing Techniques / Tips & Tutorials

The easiest knit neckline around

The easiest knit neckline (shown on Megan Nielsen's Briar pattern)

Believe it or not – this is my absolute favourite knit neckline. Why? Super easy, super quick. End of story :)

This is the neckline i recommend in most of my maternity patterns, because it’s really the most straight forward and least fuss way of doing it – and its not confusing.

Here we go

How to sew the easiest knit neckline // shown on Megan Nielsen's Briar pattern

Basically you’re just going to start with the raw neckline. Then fold 1/2″ towards the inside of the top, press it in place to help it to conform to the curve, and then topstitch using either a twin needle or a zig zag stitch.

To give some stability and make the process even easier (i mean seriously, it’s already so easy!) – i also recommend using a fusible hemming tape. This is one of my favourite tricks! You simply fuse the tape between the folds of fabric using your iron, and it makes the whole neckline more stable, neater and wayyyy easy to sew. It’s awesome. Try it, you’ll love it!

XOXO

About Author

Meg is the Founder and Creative Director of Megan Nielsen Patterns, and is constantly dreaming up ideas for new sewing patterns and ways to make your sewing journey more enjoyable! She gets really excited about design details and is always trying to add way too many variations to our patterns.

Notify of
guest
20 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
CC
CC
8 years ago

I’m new to seeing knits … Like so new Ii haven’t actually done it yet and am just staring at a pile of knit fabric I bought. What width zig zag do you use when top stitching?
Thanks!!
Love your tuts!

Tara
Tara
8 years ago

Oh. My. Gosh. Thank you for this awesome tip! Now I don’t have to spend so much time fussing over how to do a neckline, trying one way, ripping it out cos it looks awful, and leaving the garment unfinished for weeks.

Blogless Anna
8 years ago

I LOVE fusible hemming tape…

oonaballoona
8 years ago

ah, this is exactly how i do it! i feel so very reaffirmed…i always thought i was cheating :))

Vanessa@DesignsBySessa

GREAT idea! I like quick and easy!

Helen
8 years ago

Gosh, that looks easy and yet so sensible! I’ve not really sewn much with knits, but will bookmark this for next time! Thanks for the tip!

ccfauteux
ccfauteux
8 years ago

Thanks for the great tip…now what about that pretty dress? top? you are wearing???

Sarah
Sarah
8 years ago

I wish I could get my twin needle to work! Most of the time I just get a single row of stitches. Any suggestions anyone??

I love the fusible hemming tape though, so quick and easy and neat!

Laura
Laura
8 years ago

What width hem tape do you use for 1/2 inch folded necklines? I’ve only seen 1/4 inch and 5/8 inch in the stitch witchery line. One seems too small and one seems too big.

trackback

[…] I finished the neckline. I used some inspiration from Megan Nielsens blog where they talked about easy finishes for necklines for the Briar. Seriously, I have been meaning to try this for a while, and this fabric was so […]

trackback

[…] for sewing with knits from Threads Magazine end knit wavy seam syndrome from the sewing rabbit the easiest knit neckline from design diary by megan nielson clean finish neckline binding from design diary by megan nielson […]

trackback

[…] used Megan Nielsen’s easy knit neckline method for the neckline and the armholes (because I didn’t have enough fabric for another method, nor […]

Dina
Dina
8 years ago

Is this method for knit necklines also stable for close-fitting jewel necklines that will get stretched every time they are put on and taken off?

This is by far the simplest knit neckline I have seen and I would love to try this method on my “underlayers” for fall and winter.

Thanks so much!

Alice
Alice
7 years ago

Hi….such a clear explanation. My problem is how to deal with a knit blouse whose neckline is waaay to low. I tried sewing a “loose long” stitch and then pulling the thread to gather it. It worked great but then when I tried over sewing it to hold it in place…that didnt work. The gather was still able to be pulled loose again. What do I need to do to “lock” the gather in place? Thanks for all your great advice.