Today we’ll be covering how to add a neckline band – the most common neckline finish you’ll see on T-shirts.
I think you’ll find it’s surprisingly easy. I just love sewing with knits!
Ready set go!
Fold your band in half lengthways, and sew 5/8″ from the edge. Press the seam flat
Now fold the band in half widthways, so that you encase the seam and press
Sew your shoulder seams and press flat. Make sure you mark the neckline notches.
Make sure you mark the notches on the band with pins or chalk etc. Don’t worry if you forgot to mark before sewing – the notches are halfway between the centre front and the centre back (the seam you sewed). Easy peasy!
Pin the band to the neckline with raw edges lined up, and make sure that the notches on the band line up with the notch markings on the neckline. You will be pinning the band to the right side of the top (ie the outside)
You will note that the band is smaller than the neckline – as it should be!
You will now need to stretch the band and conform it to the curve of the neckline.
Now sew 1/4″ from the raw edge all the way around the neckline.
Press the band to set the shape and make sure it conforms to the curve correctly.
As the last step, you can topstitch around the neckline to keep the seam flat. You can either sew on the top side, the band side or straddle the seam – I’ve seen it done all ways :)
Remember: you don’t need an overlocker or serger to sew with jersey. You can use the zig-zag stitch on your sewing machine, or a twin needle! For a refresher on sewing with stretch visit my quick guide!
LOOKING FOR MORE BRIAR POSTS?
- How to sew the curved patch pocket
- How to sew the square patch pocket
- How to sew a neckline band
- How to sew a neckline binding (the Megan Nielsen way)
- How to sew a neckline binding (the traditional/standard way)
- The easiest knit neckline around
- Inserting the sleeves & sewing up the side seams
- Variation: How to draft elbow length sleeves
- Variation: A Valentine Briar sweater
- Variation: Centre front seam
- Variation: Side pocket Briar (by MadMim)
- Variation: The easy way to go sleeveless
- Variation: Leather elbow patches
- Variation: The dress
- Variation: Leather shoulder patches