I really love making sleeveless versions of Darling Ranges! Both as a blouse or a dress, it creates a whole new look. I know sleeves aren’t a lot of work – but sometimes leaving them off just feels fast, you know? hehe.
We’ll use the provided bias strip pattern to create facings.
Ok, heres how.
First things first, lets make a small adjustment to the pattern pieces. To make sure it doesn’t expand past your shoulder, you should shorten the shoulder on both the front and the back patterns. How much you take it in is up to you. I took mine in by 1/2″.
Mark your point on the shoulder seam, and then use a french curve or other curved ruler to blend into the underarm.
Ok, so like I said, we’ll be using bias facing to finish the armholes. You can use store bought bias tape, but I’ll show you how to use the provided bias strip pattern piece, just like with the neckline.
It’s the same process. Cut a few extra strips, place together at a right angle, right sides together, and sew diagonally. Trim.
Fold your bias strip in half lengthwise, wrong sides together, and press. Fold one end in about 1/4′ and press.
Begin pinning the bias facing to the right side of the armhole, starting with the folded in end, and matching up the raw edges. Pin all the way round.
When you get all of the way around, overlap by atlas 1/2” and trim the excess.
// LOOKING FOR MORE TUTORIALS? //
Here’s the full list of Darling Ranges tutorials:
- Project preparation
- Pattern alterations: full bust adjustment
- Pattern alterations: small bust adjustment
- Pattern alterations: lengthen the bodice
- Pattern alterations: raise the neckline
- Pattern alterations: rounded neckline
- Pattern alterations: fishtail hem
- Pattern alterations: add darts to the back bodice pattern piece
- Sewing & construction: Bodice & darts
- Sewing & construction: Skirt & pockets
- Sewing & construction: Attaching the skirt & bodice
- Sewing & construction: Placket & Neckline
- Sewing & construction: Sleeveless version
- Sewing & construction: Attaching the sleeves
- Sewing & construction: Hemming
- Sewing & construction: Ties & beltloops
- Sewing & construction: Closures
- Sewing and Construction: Sleeveless variation
- Sewing and Construction: Dartless Versions (V2 &V3)
Don’t have the Darling Ranges sewing pattern yet? Get it in store here! We absolutely love seeing what you make, so don’t forget to tag your creations with #MNdarlingranges and @megannielsenpatterns if sharing on social media.