Hey hey time to do some sewing!
Today we’re putting the bodice together – nothing too strenuous! We’ll be sewing the darts, and the side and shoulder seams.
Ready set go!
I know sometimes transferring a dart from the pattern to the fabric can be a pain. There are lots of great methods – but here is my favourite.
I start with my awl, a cutting mat or piece of thick cardboard and the pattern – and I make a nice big hole in the tip of the dart.
Then I lay the pattern over the cut fabric, and pop a pin through the hole i just made, and more marker pins at the end of the dart legs.
Fold the dart in half along the fold line, match up the dart legs, and repin. Then sew! Press those darts toward the sides.
~ You can check out this post here for more dart transfer methods and some other tips and tricks!
~ If you decided to add darts to your back bodice piece using last weeks tutorial, then construct them in the same method as you did for the side darts, then press. Don’t forget, you don’t need to add darts to the back as we’re going to be adding ties later, it’s just an optional extra.
Now attaching the front and back pieces should be relatively straight forward. Lay your back piece with right sides facing upwards, lay your front bodice pieces with right sides facing downwards, match up the side and shoulder seams and sew!
Lastly, don’t forget to neaten your raw edges and then press your seams. If you neatened each edge separately, then press your seams open. If you used say a serger/overlocker to neaten each seam in one go, then press your seams to the back of the dress.
// LOOKING FOR MORE TUTORIALS? //
Here’s the full list of Darling Ranges tutorials:
- Project preparation
- Pattern alterations: full bust adjustment
- Pattern alterations: small bust adjustment
- Pattern alterations: lengthen the bodice
- Pattern alterations: raise the neckline
- Pattern alterations: rounded neckline
- Pattern alterations: fishtail hem
- Pattern alterations: add darts to the back bodice pattern piece
- Sewing & construction: Bodice & darts
- Sewing & construction: Skirt & pockets
- Sewing & construction: Attaching the skirt & bodice
- Sewing & construction: Placket & Neckline
- Sewing & construction: Sleeveless version
- Sewing & construction: Attaching the sleeves
- Sewing & construction: Hemming
- Sewing & construction: Ties & beltloops
- Sewing & construction: Closures
- Sewing and Construction: Sleeveless variation
- Sewing and Construction: Dartless Versions (V2 &V3)
Don’t have the Darling Ranges sewing pattern yet? Get it in store here! We absolutely love seeing what you make, so don’t forget to tag your creations with #MNdarlingranges and @megannielsenpatterns if sharing on social media.