Menu
Handmade Wardrobe / Inspiration / Tips & Advice / Tips & Tutorials

So You Want Pink Pants?

I’m sometimes (okay often) really bad at explaining how I came up with stuff. I make it, and wear it- and expect that when I show it to you guys, everyone will magically know how I got there. Well turns out my husband isn’t the only person who can’t read my mind!! hehe

So lets talk about my pink skinny jeans – which I officially adore, and I’m so pleased to find out you guys like too!! Well the original inspiration from these jeans of Bunny’s (which if you’ve been reading this blog for a while, then you know I absolutely covet and have bought the exact same pair for Bunny for the last 3 winters in a row). Then when I saw my dear friend Kendi in her red Gap cords I thought I may have found the “grown up” version. But they did not work on me. Like at all. I tried them on in Gap a couple of times, and they just looked shocking on me. And not in a good way. I figure it’s just that red isn’t my strongest colour. But I knew that more pinky version work well on me, so I got creative. I went TJ Maxx and found a pair of white jeans ($5!!). When I got them home I washed and tumble dried them (always a good idea when you buy stuff, because they put chemicals in the clothing to make it look good in the store). Then I took out my favourite shade of RIT dye, “Wine” – and I dyed the pants!! I’ve done a couple of posts on this in the past, but all you need to do to dye something is fill a bucket with really hot water (even hot out of the tap is fine!), mix the dye in well, then submerge the item for a few hours (sometimes you can get away with less). Stir it a few times to makes sure it get’s equally dyed. Rinse till the water runs clear and you’re done! I like to add the extra step of washing and tumble drying them on their own afterwards, just to make sure no dye is left.

Since I wanted to make mine into skinny jeans, I wanted to make sure they wouldn’t shrink on me after I’d cut and sewn them (it’s happened before). So I wore them as boot cuts for a few weeks, and washed and tumble dried them between uses, till I was sure all the dye was set, and the pants wouldn’t shrink anymore. Then I laid my favourite skinnies on top, cut around them on the hem and inside legs (leaving seam allowance) then sewed them up, and hemmed again. Taaa daaaaaa! (it’s kind of a similar project to these leggings I made from track pants)

Wanna know why I think this is a great project? You can perfectly customize your own colour, no-one will have the exact same pants, and for some unknown reason (sarcasm) white jeans seem to be in abundance in thrift stores. I’m thinking turquoise jeans next – what do you think?

Pink skinny jeans: Lee, dyed using RIT dye in “Wine” , and skinnied by me
Cardigan: Gap, overdyed (I’ll show you how I did this next time!)
Top: gift from my SIL
Shoes: BCBG, via TJ Maxx
Belt: Target
Pendat: Vintage, family heirloom from my mom

About Author

Meg is the Founder and Creative Director of Megan Nielsen Patterns, and is constantly dreaming up ideas for new sewing patterns and ways to make your sewing journey more enjoyable! She gets really excited about design details and is always trying to add way too many variations to our patterns.

Notify of
guest
18 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
April
10 years ago

yay i love RIT dye! unfortunately, in college it’s hard to dye stuff without totally killing the bathroom/washing machine that has to be shared between everyone, so i save my dyeing for when i’m home on vacations. LOVE the pink and love the whole head-to-toe look!

happy valentine’s day!
ape-z.blogspot.com

BiblioMOMia
10 years ago

Oh the shoes. Oh the shoes with the PANTS! Love.

Jessica J.
10 years ago

I have one cardigan that I’ve dyed myself, I’m actually wearing it today! I’m so stinking proud of this sweater, I tell everyone who compliments the color that I dyed it myself! I’ve wanted a pair of colored skinny jeans for a while and I have some white ones that fit me pretty well actually. I should just bite the bullet and do it! Love your dye projects, happy valentines day!

Carla
Carla
10 years ago

Can I ask you an altering question? I have tried several times to alter bootcut jeans to skinny and have a hard time not getting a lump on the side seam. I don’t usually take in the hip, so I sew from the ankle up, trying to smoothly merge into the existing seam, but often get a weird bump that is visible once the jeans are right side out and on the body. Do you know any tricks to avoid this?
Love today’s post! I have a yellow cable sweater in a bucket with some navy rit today :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Carla
Carla
Reply to  Meg

Thank you, that is encouraging! Lets me know that I am not doing something really wrong. I will try merging slower and keep practicing…oh faithful seam ripper! :) Hope life gets a little less crazy for you soon!

Annelise Nielsen
Annelise Nielsen
10 years ago

I love that you wear so much colour in winter! But why do the shoes look purple in the photos but red at the bottom?

Annelise
Annelise
Reply to  Meg

Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that! I thought maybe you were like me and bought the same shoes in multiple colours!! Especially because they are such beautiful shoes I would want them in multiple colours!

jentine
10 years ago

Denim reworking skills are yours. I have been on a mad thrift hunt for coloured denim… so far no luck but I know it’ll happen:).

Alana

Love the color combo.

Pam Speak
10 years ago

At first I was thinking, “pink jeans, o…kay” but the more I look at them the more awesome they get. I’m not a pink kinda gal but these are really amazing and such a clever (yet so simply obvious) way to get the colour you want.

Justine

pink pants love! :)

Just Better Together

trackback

[…] Next stop and think about the colour your garment currently is, and what colour you want it to end up as. My sweater was lavender and I wanted it to be more plummy. i didn’t want a super bright purple, or a very blue like purple – I wanted it with a bit more red. So I knew I’d need a redish dye – I chose wine, since I already had a bucket full of wine dye after making these pants. […]

Van @ The Clothes We Wear

You inspire me to the nth degree. I’ve seen lots of diy, but you are by far the most approachable. Thank you!

Chantele Cross-Jones
Chantele Cross-Jones
10 years ago

Wow you did a great job on these, whenever I try to dye stuff I always end up with streaks and lines. I would love to try this with some trousers or shorts, will have to scour the Charity shops for some white stuff!
Daisy Dayz Home
Cross-Jones-Photography Home
The Daily Swoon
The Penthouse Clan

trackback

[…] the weather has dictated that my pink jeans are back in action! Don’t forget about this tutorial if you’d like to try your hand at making your own coloured […]