I have something a little different for you today – a pin cushion top mason jar DIY! Help keep your pins all in one place, or make it as a handmade gift for a friend! It would make a perfect kit for any sewer – beginner or experienced :)
Here’s how you do it…..
1. Cut a piece of cardboard (or felt) slightly smaller than your lid. Then cut a piece of fabric fairly larger than your lid – about 1” bigger or so.
2. With the fabric and lid both face down, sandwich a chunk of stuffing in between the two.
3. While lightly pressing down on your lid – fold, tuck, and glue your fabric around the lid. Make sure you are getting it nice and tight, and not leaving too much excess around the edge.
This is what it will look like when you’re done.
4. Your cardboard or felt is going to be used as a backing to simply cover up the unfinished edges and give it a clean finished look. So add a little glue, and attach your backing.
5. Pop it through your top….
6. And screw it back on your jar. Ta-da! Fill your jar with pins, buttons, etc. Or fill it with some basic, essential sewing tools, and give it as a gift to a friend!
Note – if you are having trouble screwing the top back onto your jar when your done, you may have too much bulk around the edge of your lid. When your making it, make sure you push the stuffing towards the center of the lid, so that there isn’t much near the edges. And pull your fabric nice and tight, too. The less bulk, the better.