Hello everyone! As promised yesterday, I’m here with a Darling Ranges dress pattern variation! Mainly, how to alter the shape of the neckline. The standard Darling Ranges pattern comes as a v-neck, but I’m going to show you how to create a slightly higher, rounded neckline.
Also, yesterday I talked about moving and altering the bust dart of the Darling Ranges pattern. Well, heres what one of them looks like! This is the dart moved to the waist, and then split into three darts. Also known as a dart cluster. Just wanted you to know what it looked like!
But let’s move on to the neckline. Here’s how to do it……
Place a piece of paper underneath your pattern, lining up the edge of the pattern with the edge of the paper. Tape in place. Extend your two parallel guidelines.
Now decide how high you want your neckline. Don’t forget – you need to remember your seam allowance! Draw a perpendicular line out from your center front guideline.
Using a french curve or another curved tool, create your rounded neckline – connecting the end of your perpendicular line to your shoulder seam. Blend so you have a smooth, curved line.
To shape your facing, first fold inward along the first guideline, and then again along the center front guideline. While folded, cut along your new neckline shape.
That’s it! Unfold, and flatten back out before cutting out your fabric.
Don’t forget that your neckline will be higher now, so make sure you adjust the placement of your buttons!
// LOOKING FOR MORE TUTORIALS? //
Here’s the full list of Darling Ranges tutorials:
- Project preparation
- Pattern alterations: full bust adjustment
- Pattern alterations: small bust adjustment
- Pattern alterations: lengthen the bodice
- Pattern alterations: raise the neckline
- Pattern alterations: rounded neckline
- Pattern alterations: fishtail hem
- Pattern alterations: add darts to the back bodice pattern piece
- Sewing & construction: Bodice & darts
- Sewing & construction: Skirt & pockets
- Sewing & construction: Attaching the skirt & bodice
- Sewing & construction: Placket & Neckline
- Sewing & construction: Sleeveless version
- Sewing & construction: Attaching the sleeves
- Sewing & construction: Hemming
- Sewing & construction: Ties & beltloops
- Sewing & construction: Closures
- Sewing and Construction: Sleeveless variation
- Sewing and Construction: Dartless Versions (V2 &V3)
Don’t have the Darling Ranges sewing pattern yet? Get it in store here! We absolutely love seeing what you make, so don’t forget to tag your creations with #MNdarlingranges and @megannielsenpatterns if sharing on social media.