Briar Sewalong: Neckline Binding

And now on to my favourite knit neckline finish. Binding!

Now be warned – this is not your standard neckline binding, this is my method. I like it because it feels nice and sturdy/thick, all the raw edges are enclosed and there is no trimming off edges and things at the end – plus since the steps are similar to the collar band, some people find it less confusing.

If you prefer a traditional neckline binding, i’ll show you how to do that next week (we’ll be using the same pattern piece as you use for Megan Nielsen binding cover today)

and we’re off…

We’ll start with the shoulder seams sewn and pressed again.

Fold your binding in half length ways and sew 5/8″ from the raw edge. press.

Fold your binding in half width ways, so that seam is enclosed, and with right sides facing outwards. Press.

Make sure you have marked the notches on the neckline and notches on the binding piece. As with yesterday, the notches on the binding piece are halfway between the centre front and centre back (seam) of the binding piece.

Now pin the raw edge of the binding to the raw edge of the neckline, matching up the notches. Make sure that you pin the binding to the wrong side of the fabric (inside of top). This is important!

Now stretch the binding to fit the neckline, and sew 1/4″ from the raw edge all the way round. You’ll notice that you don’t need to stretch the binding piece as much as you needed to stretch the neckline band yesterday.

Press the binding upwards.

Now fold the binding over the neckline edge encasing it. And pin in place. Note we are not folding the seam edge over too – we are just encasing the edge in the binding.

Topstitch around the edge – and don’t forget to press the neckline really well – this will help set the binding and make it conform correctly to the curve. As you may see in the above picture, my binding looked a little weird before pressing – but now it’s perfect!

Now you’re done, and you have a nice sturdy neckline binding!

Don’t forget! If you haven’t gotten the pattern yet – no worries! You can still get 10% off in store during the sewalong using code BRIAR at checkout!

Never miss a post!

Enter your email address to receive our posts right to your inbox

Featured Products

Megan Nielsen Fabric stash note cards Megan Nielsen Briar sweater and tee sewing pattern Megan Nielsen Yes I Sew, No i won't do your mending tote bag

1. says

I love the sturdiness of this finish – as well as the encased seam, which gives a nicer look & is less scratchy around the neckline. I’m wondering, though – it looks like you used a straight stitch for your topstitching. Since this is knit, will that be stretchy enough to go over the head without popping the stitches?

2. Sarah Connell says

Oh Megan- Thank you so much for this tutorial! I’ve been wondering how to do this neckline for a long long time, but couldn’t get my head around it until now. You’ve revolutionized my sewing of knit tops! Thank you thank you! Can’t wait to see all the Briar variations coming up too…

3. Mar says

Thank you for this! My daughter and husband are both sensitive to seams, and I’ve avoided making t-shirts for them because I didn’t want to deal with the tiny seam taping I see on the inside of RTW. That stuff is too much of a PITA for me to want to deal with, but THIS! This is can do!

4. says

Ooh, I haven’t seen this method before, but I like! It’s great for those of us without overlockers, so I’ll definitely be trying this out next time I make a t-shirt. Thanks :)

5. Gloria says

Could you tell me how wide you cut your binding. This looks awesome by the way. I am doing one today.

• says

To age is a privilege!!! I’m wtnirig that one down on my mirror to remind my self! THANK YOU!!Why did I never see this before? Our culture has me blind-folded!More like Joyce please!I’d love to look like such a coquette-and look as amazing as Joyce does-when I’m 79!Thanks for the inspiration! Carla

6. Suzanne says

hahah – and here I thought this was my own secret method…. I discovered it recently when working with a sheer chiffon, made the binding so much easier ;o) Awesome tutorial, I will be doing this on all knit tops for the future!!!

7. Allyson says

Sorry if this has already been asked here but, What fabric are you using and where did you buy it?

8. Donna Thiemann says

Just stopped by to say what a lovely tutorial you did here, many thanks! You make this look so easy. I do sew and make some clothing but I mostly hem pants, sew on buttons and Alter . Your tutorials are good teaching tools for many!
    I also want to know what type of knit this is. It’s lovely and has a nice stretch to it you don’t often see. Thanks again!

1. […] binding! I am literally so proud of this as it makes it look shop-bought! I followed the tips by megan nielsen. Her way of doing it meant that the neckline and the armholes/racerback binding had no itchy seams […]