Inspire me: beading

January 2nd, 2013

I’ve been in clean up mode recently (holidays get me that way), and i found these old slippers from when i was a child. Its funny how much i couldn’t stop thinking about them. They’ve gotten me excited about beading again.

The last time i was into beading, i made this detachable collar, (tutorial here), and it kind of wore me out. But now i’m wondering whether a little beading might just go a long way on a few future projects.

I think if i do it tastefully, and with restraint, i can keep it on trend and avoid taking it into grandma territory. Thoughts?

1. June says:

Check out alabamachanin.com for examples of a little beading going a long way. Beautiful stuff there, a lot of inspirational pieces, too.

2. Sunni says:

I love beading! But you are right in that sometimes it can take on a “granny-ish” look. But those slippers are so beautiful. What a wonderful thing to wear on your feet as a kid. I did beading and such as a kid – what a great idea to bring it back.

3. Courtney says:

oohhh, how lovely! love the collar too.

4. Cassandra says:

I remember OOOOH so carefully putting some sparkly beads on a black top back when I was 18. Definitely chic, not granny, and I thought I looked pretty flash! I love beading, and those shoes are totally gorgeous :) I’m not surprised that collar burned you out for a while, but it’s so beautiful, you should wear it every day!!

5. Chili says:

I can’t wait to see your ideas! You always think up unique but simple DIY-things!
    As I read your post, I remembered an embellished top from the House On Hillroad blog, here is the link, maybe you want to take a look:

6. Moniek says:

Lovely slippers. Are they for sale????

Moniek