BRIAR SEWALONG!!!

January 25th, 2013

Megan Nielsen Briar sweater & t-shirt sewalong!

I think this might be the most requested sewalong yet! After a number of very excited emails and tweets from lovely customers, i think we should declare February – Briar month! yay!

Since the Briar is such a breezy sew and so versatile a design – i think i’ll be including more variation tutorials than normal. YES! There will be a tonne, and i’m pretty darned excited. So if you have any specific requests – now is the time! Leave a comment below and let me know what variation/alteration you’re dying to try – and i’ll do my best to¬†accommodate¬†as many as possible.

We’ll most likely be starting in the second week of February (i’ll post a schedule in the next few days), but till then follow my Briar Pinterest board for some inspiration – i’ll continue to post ideas for variations, cute Briars i’ve seen around, Briar outfit ideas, and i’ll be adding some fabrics too. (if you see something you’d like me to include on the board, just pin it and include @megan_nielsen in the comment so i get notified).

And of course don’t forget to join the Megan Nielsen Patterns Flickr pool to share your creations and see what others are making.

Want to tweet about it? We’ll be using he tag #briarpattern

Okay is that everything? Can’t wait!

If you don’t have the pattern yet – you can take advantage of a special sewalong coupon code and get 10% off for the length of the sewalong starting now! Just enter BRIAR at checkout and get 10% your pattern.

Did i say i couldn’t wait? oh i did. yeah. i’m that excited!

1. Kylie Harvey says:

This will be great for my sewing mojo! Thanks Megan.

I’m keen to try a longer body with 3/4 length sleeves out of a fine wool jersey for autumn.

that sounds like it would be a really gorgeous wardrobe staple!

I think it will definitely be a good idea to show how to lengthen the cropped and full length version for taller bodies :)

thanks for hte suggestion hun!

2. Kate Nakano says:

Extremely excited! I was hoping for a Briar sewalong!

3. melanie says:

I really want to sew a baseball t-shirt type top, with the different colored sleeves and neckline, would this be possible using the briar pattern?

And also (lol so many), a plain tank top/sleeveless/wife-beater shirts …

Thanks so muchh :)

Hey Melanie!! There will definitely be a sleeveless tank top tutorial – also one with a twisted shoulder which will be really cool!

Meanwhile, you could definitely change the pattern to have raglan sleeves (baseball style), it would be a little bit of work to change up the pattern – but a totally awesome suggestion! I’m gonna see if i can work that in :)

hugs! xoxo

4. Jo says:

Oh yeah! I got the pattern for Christmas and have been sitting on it hoping this would happen!

A sleeveless tutorial would be great, and the raglan idea is really interesting. I’ve been wondering about adding pockets at the lower waistline – I guess patch pockets of some sort, maybe pouch style?? I haven’t got as far as working out what I would actually want them to look like yet… will have a look at the pinterest board, and search for inspiration to pin!

5. Kelly says:

Yay! I just got this pattern, I love to find t-shirts that are unique and not just a plain T…and now I can make my own! :) I already have about 4 in my head, I can’t wait to see what variations you come up with for your sewalong!

6. Ginger says:

Ahh! How fun! I’m swamped over the next few weeks, but I really will try my hardest to join in! I’ve been needing an excuse to pick up this pattern… :)

7. Really want to make this, could you do an armhole patch version or a raglan sleeve version.

8. Dee Durrant says:

Hi Megan
    Since I live in England and its pretty much cold 75% of the time a thicker material like a sweatshirt would be great – I love lounge wear – maybe a hooded version?

Also – I received your package just before Xmas (I was one of your 1year giveaway winners!) and I just wanted to say I was thrilled with everything you included in the goodie bag…especially the Briar pattern…the materials were the perfect colours for me to! I will post some pics when I get around to making them up. I’m hoping to join the Briar sewalong.

9. [...] and I will make more Briar tops, I still have to experiment a little bit. But I will wait for the Briar sewalong to make the next [...]

10. Eleyna says:

This is my favorite kind of fit of shirt! Can’t wait to be a part of the sew-along! :)

11. patty says:

Hi Megan!! I ordered this pattern from you a couple of weeks ago, hopefully it comes here soon, I live in Canada. I was wondering, can linen or voile or cotton lawn like liberty of london can be use with this pattern? I love knits but I have a few good choices with voiles and light weight fabrics as well…how about chiffon?
    I want to make lots of this to wear them with shorts and jeans!!!!!

Cheers!!!!!!

Hi Patty!

I’m so glad you’ll be joining in the sewalong – hopefully your pattern will arrive very soon!

Meanwhile – with respect to use voile or lawn or linen etc – i don’t think it would work to make the entire top from a woven, since the ease allowed isn’t as much as for woven specific patterns. But having said that, i think it would be really cool to make either the front panel or hte back panel out of a woven, leaving the sleeves etc knit. I’ve been thinking about trying it myself – you might have given me the push i needed :)

XOXO

12. Karen says:

I made up my first Briar last night after being inspired by your Pinterest board and while I just have to finish the hems I LOVE it! I have plans now for lots more – a few more summer versions and winter versions in jersey merino I have seen.
    Can’t wait for the sew-along to start.

13. Joanne says:

I just ordered the Briar shirt and Kelly skirt patterns today. I should get them in a few days. :D Can’t wait!