Banksia Sewalong: preparation!

You guys we start our Banksia sewalong on Friday!! I’m so excited!! I’m having a devil of a time deciding on final fabrics though! Here’s what i’m thinking right now:

• The striped jersey will be for our jersey version of the Banksia – basically i will be recreating this top with the Banksia pattern.
  • The blue linen blend is left over from a dress i made my sister in law Annelise a few years ago – and since it’s a blend it never wrinkles. It’s like magic fabric :) So i’m thinking i might use it for the dress version we’ll be doing.
  • I love the vintage floral too – and originally wanted to use that for the dress – but it wrinkles like crazy, and i hate it when you stand up from sitting and the back of your dress is a wrinkle mess. (you know what i mean right?) But i love the print – so i’m thinking i might make a collarless version out of it, or perhaps the sleeveless version?
  • I’ll be using the navy silk for the long sleeved version of the Banksia – so basically i’ll be making this top.
  • I”m toying with using the pale blue silk cotton blend for a standard Banksia.
  • I adore the buttery yellow linen – i hand dyed it for my spring 11 collection and have enough left for a top. I love this fabric because it’s so lovely in summer – and the colour is kind of perfect.
  • The rusty colour linen was also hand dyed for the same collection, I’m thinking of using this fabric in conjunction with the brown and white gingham for a placketless version of the Banksia. The gingham as the main body of the top, and the linen as the collar. Not sure yet.

Yeah i know… that’s too many Banksia’s isn’t it??? Eeeeep! I need to cut this list down!

So is anyone else as indecisive as me? How are your plans going for our sewalong? Have you found the perfect fabric/button combo yet?

Well, we start our pattern drafting on Friday, and that will run all of next week – and then we’ll start sewing! As a little refresher, here is the little checklist i shared in our last sewalong, that i go through before i start sewing.

• Still don’t have the pattern?? Don’t forget about our 10% of discount during the sewalong! Just enter the code BANKSIA at checkout
  • Want a button for your blog?? Get the code here!

Never miss a post!

Enter your email address to receive our posts right to your inbox

Featured Products

Megan Nielsen Fabric stash note cards Megan Nielsen Briar sweater and tee sewing pattern Megan Nielsen Yes I Sew, No i won't do your mending tote bag

1. says

Wow! I love the long sleeve version. I have a fabric and have thought of several ideas for making a dress version, but now I saw that long sleeve version and want to make one of those too. I have not even had time to look for buttons :) I might make a couple different versions too.

• MegMeg says

That’s awesome Angela!!! I’m so excited about all the versions people are planning. Seriously, the long sleeve version is one of my favourites – i wear it sooooo often in winter, and somehow it almost looks like a totoally different top! XOXO

• MegMeg says

hehehe that is SO my problem too!! Yesterday i cut one out, so at least i’m committed to one fabric at least now… so indecisive!! XOXO

2. says

I have just received my pattern in the mail and admit I have cut it out already! I will join you in this venture, I already have plans for a dress, woven top and knit top, just need to find some decent buttons. For the dress I gave up, this one will not have the placket!

• MegMeg says

Wow Lizz!!! You are going to be pumping out a lot of sewing! That’s awesome!! I’m glad i’m not the only one with a long sewing list hehehe. Meanwhile, if you’re thinking of skipping the placket (sometimes i get tired of sewing them too!), i’ll be including instructions for a top with no placket – and also a top with a faux placket (sneaky!).
      So fun!! XOXO

• MegMeg says

Thanks Anto! I started working on that one yesterday, and i’m already happy with how it’s turning out!!

3. says

Hey Megs! I’m taking part woo. I’ve got my floral op-shop fabric. And I’m thinking I’d like to do a placket-less, capped sleeved, dropped back hem version…

• MegMeg says

Sophie! Yay!!! I have serious love for opshop fabric, i always feel like i got the deal of the century :)

Anyway, i love the idea of your top – sounds sooo cute!!

• MegMeg says

oh darn didn’t see this before i responded to your other comment hehehe!
      The good news is we will definitely be having a tutorial next week for how to move the bust darts up or down :) yay!

4. says

I looked at my stash and found two fabrics I could use one is a gigham and another a quilting cotton. I had only planned on doing a blouse but now I am also thinking of doing a dress. I will start my cutting this weekend.