Banksia Sewalong: lengthening the sleeves

September 26th, 2012

I really wanted to include this as part ¬†of the sewalong as it’s such an easy alteration to the Banksia, and makes such a cute winter top!

Remember the this pretty blouse from my last collection? Well this sleeve plus the Banksia pattern will get you there!

I have to admit, sometimes i like this longsleeved version of the Banksia even more than the original hehehe.

Ready to go?

First we’ll start with the Banksia sleeve in your chosen size. How long you want your sleeve to be will depend on how long your arms are. Basically you want to figure out the finished length of your long sleeve based on your favourite long sleeve top. For me that was 23″. I then added 1″ for ‘puffyness’ around the wrist.

The beauty of this sleeve is that we will be finishing the cuff with elastic – how easy is that? I kind of adore it. We’ll be using 1″ wide elastic – so when figuring out the length of the sleeve you’ll need to cut you’ll take your finished sleeve length (24″ for me), and add on 5/8″ for the shoulder seam allowance, and then add 2″ for the cuff (i’ll explain how it all works out later). So my sleeve pattern needs to be 26 5/8″ long. Which means I needed to add 15 1/4″ to the length of the sleeve.

First lets tape some extra paper to the bottom of the sleeve pattern

Now fold the pattern in half – i do this because it makes it easier to keep everything symmetrical and work from the centre of the sleeve.

Measure down the fold line till you reach the point you need. Square across and up to meet your original sleeve.

Note that i didn’t taper the sleeve at all – i kept the width of the sleeve at the wrist the same as the original width. The reason for this is two fold. One it’s simple. And two, it results in a really nice gathered puffy sleeve, which is the aim.

Cut it out and you’re done!

I’ll explain how to sew up the longer sleeve with the elastic later in the sewalong.

1. Mary Sigler says:

I like the long sleeve too. I also like that you used a wide elastic for the cuff. Do you have a close up shot of the cuff?
    Thanks.

Hey Mary!

Ooooo no i don’t have a close up right now – but i will definitely have one when we do the sewing portion for the sleeve. It actually turns out really cute – one of my favourites :)

Meg XOXO

2. Lo Hood says:

I’m really pleased with the way my top is coming along and was actually wondering if you will be showing ways to make the placket smaller only because I have some adorable smaller vintage buttons. Thanks so much for showing us all these adjustments…so great! :)

3. punkmik says:

I love the idea of a long sleeved dress! :D I was wondering, when I set in my sleeve as intended I got a very tight fit at the bottom of the sleeve towards the front. IS there a fitting adjustment i could make?

Hey hun! It sounds to me like the armsyce might be a bit small for you – you might need to cut a larger sleeve opening.

But if it’s tight anywhere else it might be more of an overall size or bust issue. It’s always so hard to judge whats going on when i can’t’ see – but i hope that helps a little bit!!
      xoxo

• Kim says:

Thanks for the reply! I was too impatient and made another very wearable muslin by grading from a bigger size down. And that fits beautifully. :D Now I can start making adjustments to collars and sleeves and maybe even for a dress! Loving your posts so far!
        2 cute banskia blouses already done! will get pictures on flickr very soon! :D

4. [...] you haven’t already drafted a long sleeve for your Banksia top – head on over to this post for a [...]