quick fix: gaping blouse

August 2nd, 2012

So. You know what i hate?? Button up shirts that gape at the bust.

This confuses me. I mean, the shirt is designed for a woman, so why isn’t there a button right there inline with the bust point? It makes me crazy how often there’s a nice big peekaboo gap there. UGH! Especially on this shirt, because it’s one of my staples. (seen here, here and here)

So this is my quick fix.

When i was working in an office environment and wore button shirts allll the time, i think i sewed on like a zillion snaps heheehe

It’s pretty darn easy.

Get yourself some snaps. Find the bust point of your blouse, where that nice big gape is happening – sew the snaps in place. And Voila! No more peep show.

The end. hehehehe

1. Jessica says:

Good point… and good solution!

2. Emilie says:

What a great (and easy) idea! I do have a few blouses that I own that do this and it drives me nuts (and very self-conscious!Thanks!

So glad it helped a bit honey! That seriously is one of my biggest frustrations – before doing this little trick i would be constantly looking at my own bust to make sure i wasn’t showing too much, and that’s just awkward LOL

3. Ginger says:

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! I HATE when that happens!

4. Roxy says:

I pretty much gave up on shirts a long time ago. A gaping shirt is hardly professional. Higher end shirts often have a hidden button sewn there, but I have to admit I never really found one that fit nicely enough to spend that money. Your tip is great, I just need to find a shirt to use it on :-)

Roxy i totally agree. It’s shocking how frustrating it is to get a button shirt to fit modestly isn’t it? I actually have pretty scarring memories (too dramatic? hehe) of sewing snaps between all the buttons of a work blouse i bought from a local designer – towards the end I hated the damned thing and never wanted to see it again hehehe.

5. La Chapstick Fanatique says:

i have a large, ahem, chest so i either have to buy shirts that are too big for the rest of my body or have this problem or don’t buy them at all. i LOVE this idea! thanks so much for posting.

6. Andrea says:

Clever! I always assumed I’d just have to make my own button-down shirts if I want the buttonholes placed just right, but this definitely helps with those shirts I already own!

Yay! glad it helps a bit! Though after seeing your creations, i reckon the shirts you make yourself are probably the cutest my dear :)

7. jenloveskev says:

Love it! I usually just use safety pins. So ghetto. Thanks love.

8. emily marie says:

Love doing this! One time, a client couldn’t part with a super tight button-up so I straight up put a strip of Velcro there. You do have to open the front placket so it doesn’t show, but that will give you the ultimate security!

9. Amanda says:

I’ve always used safety pins for this, because the same shirt doesn’t always do it…but inevitably I forget to take the safety pin out and either rip the shirt taking it off or earn a rust spot after washing it. I’ve considered velcro, but never snaps! I’ll have to try it if I ever start wearing button-downs again. There’s a designer called Carissa Rose (I might not have spelled that right) that specializes in shirts for well-endowed women, and I think she used hook-and-eye instead of buttons at all on at least some of her things. I had a shirt that used those and I LOVED it. Too bad it’s way too small now! :)

10. Amanda says:

I have big ladies, and sometimes I even sew 2 snaps in the gap if there’s a really big space between the buttons. They sell the clear snaps at JoAnn’s, and there are two types. One is totally clear, but will melt when you iron it, and one is milkier, but are iron-able. I don’t often iron my shirts, but I use the iron-able ones just in case I do!

You know what Amanda, i’ve never seen those ironable ones – but they sound brilliant! What a great idea!! I will have to keep my eyes open for them next time i’m in the fabric store

11. anne says:

this is brilliant! thanks so much! i am always struggling with this problem with my button downs. will definitely give it a go. you’re inspiring me to learn how to sew, and i can’t wait to get started! my mom’s a quilter, so i suppose i should get goin’ on this know-how. especially now that i’ve seen those maternity clothes you sent jen! how gorgeous!

12. Leslie M says:

Though it doesn’t work for everything, I’ve found that sewing most of the placket completely closed is often a good fix for this problem, too. If I can slip something on over my head without unbuttoning it, then this technique works. Another bonus is that there is absolutely NO gaping–not even after a long day–and the front lies nice & smooth. I use a zipper foot since it’s narrow, in order to maneuver near the buttons.

Leslie that is a really great fix!! I think it would work even if you only sewed the placket down for an inch or so at the gape area. What a great suggestion honey, i will defintiely be trying this too! thanks for sharing XOXO

• Leslie M says:

Yes, I’ve done this before, too, depending upon the garment. It gives it a little different look depending upon whether you sew the seam on the left side of the placket or the right side. (One way allows the buttons to still work, though they’re not functional; the other way makes them mostly obsolete.) Experiment and see what you think…. Occasionally, if the buttons were really large or otherwise in the way, I’ve had to remove the buttons before sewing the placket and then sew them back on afterwards.

13. Leslie M says:

PS: I sew along the existing seam in the placket, so this fix is nearly invisible.