quick fix: winter to summer

July 19th, 2012

While i’m waiting (impatiently) for the arrival of the sea container holding our entire household and all my sewing equipment (sigh/freakout), i find myself doing a lot of “quick fix” type projects.

This is one i’ve done over and over for the kids clothing. Often the season will change before they grow out of their long sleeves, and that just frustrates me! I hate wasting perfectly good clothing.

Since jersey doesn’t fray, i often cheat and just cut the sleeves shorter! Voila! Summer shirt!

Isn’t that ridiculously easy?

After a few washes the edges will curl up a bit – which to be honest is a look i actually quite like.

Sometimes i feel super energetic and hem the sleeves properly – but for the length of time toddlers use a shirt, i often can’t bring myself to go that far.

And since i’m a thrifty lady – i keep all the sleeves i cut off, incase i have the opposite problem when winter comes. I sew a contrasting sleeve onto a short sleeve shirt (usually for Buddy) to get that layered sleeve look.

1. Ah awesome! I too cut off sleeves of my own t-shirts, and shorten tops! love jersey ;) Great blog, I’ve been reading for a while – thank you! ;)

Thanks Vanya! I’m so glad you’ve been enjoying it! Jersey really is magic isnt’ it?? One of my favourite mediums :)

2. so pretty! I can imagine this done on grown up clothes, too :)

3. Annelise says:

That is so cute, I want one!

if you like i could just randomly chop some sleeves off the shirts you left in perth?? you know one here… one there. hehehe

4. CUTE!!!
    I also cut off the sleeves without hemming. LOL I love the curled up look it gives!! :) I made a maxi dress out of knit and didn’t hem it at all.

i’m glad i’m not the only one who likes the curled up edges hehe. i bet your maxi dress looks fab – sometimes i think that curled up edge looks even nice than a traditional hem :) More natural, you know?

5. Katie says:

Keeping the sleeves is brill – officially stealing your idea now :)

6. Marina says:

Love this idea. One of those seemingly simple ones but for some reason I’d never thought of doing it! Your little girl is a real cutie…

Thanks Marina!! I know what you mean, so often the simple solution evades me – and i spend my time overcomplicating things! hehehe

7. casey says:

what is that toy in the before shot?