spiced

November 11th, 2011

I covet a lot of my friends wardrobes – and I have been obsessed with this cardigan of Tania‘s since last winter. Alas, I could never find one in Jcrew or on the website. It bummed me out more than any piece of clothing should.

So I did what I’m prone to doing, and I got a little dye happy :) I started with a cardigan i have had for a loooong time, and it was very unfortunately almost the same colour as my skin. That’s just awkward people. Really awkward.

Using RIT dye, and a bit of experimentation, I came up with this colour (It’s 2/3 brown 1/3 orange liquid dye). It’s not the same colour as Tania’s, but I liked it so much that i decided not to continue with any more experimenting. I really like happy accidents :)

Oh and ps… I cut my hair. Well not me, a hairdresser did it hehe (I learnt my lesson about cutting your own hair). It’s nice to have a little weight gone from it, and somehow it feels good to have a change before winter.

Cardigan: Basque, overdyed by me
Skirt: Megan Nielsen, Olivia skirt SS2010
Collar: Megan Nielsen, recreate it using this tutorial
Tights: c/o We Love Colours
Boots: Steve Madden

1. pretty girl! this is such a gorgeous look and i’m always amazed at the colors you can get from RIT dye. i’ve been too chicken to try!
    also the woods are so pretty.

2. Kellie says:

Pretty cardi! Love the location you’re in, too :)

Thanks Kellie!! Honestly all the virginia backroads are so picturesque! i love that we get to explore so many :)

3. Loren says:

The new hair cut looks great in these photos! The color of this cardigan is lovely too, you did a nice job.

4. I wondered about your hair! Looks great! Good call on the dying of your sweater. I’ve been contemplating a similar project myself.The colors of this outfit are inspiring–sort of like apple cider and autumn.

5. I love the buttons on that skirt.

Thank you!!! they were a pain to make, but i’m so glad i put the effort in, because the effect is perfect :) xoxo

6. Meg says:

Love the colour combo here, and your hair looks great! Nice job. :)

7. Elle Croft says:

FAB cardi, and I love the new hair. Chic! X

8. [...] Top: Madewell Skirt: Megan Nielsen, Kelly skirt (pattern coming soon!) Shoes: Seychelles, via Endless.com Necklaces: Vintage, family heirlooms from my mom Cardigan: overdyed, original post here  [...]