the no sew jersey scarf

November 16th, 2011

the no sew jersey scarf

Sometimes it’s the simple DIY’s that are the best.

I’ve been looking for a nice big scarf wrap thing for ages – then I found this jersey fabric at my favourite fabric store, and tied it to my garment rack in my studio next to one of my favourite scarfs till i could decide what to do with it. Which is when i realised, it looked just like the scarf. AH HA!

The beauty of this is that jersey doesn’t fray, so it didn’t require any hemming or anything, and since it’s a very thin “tissue” (stole that term from Jcrew hehe) type jersey it’s not too bulky.

If you’d like to create your own you’ll simply need about 2 or 2.5 yards of a very lightweight jersey fabric. Wrap it around your neck, and that’s it :) Perfection!

1. Loren says:

I keep forgetting that all it takes to make a scarf is a piece of fabric. I think I’m going to have to try a couple ‘infinity scarves’ soon.

Well Loren, i just saw your circle scarf from a tshirt – you clever thing!! what a great idea!! i LOVE how it turned out!!!

2. Claire says:

Aha! A new-so project! It’s been so long I forgot that was even an option ;-)

hehe i know me too! i always forget that sometimes you don’t need to sew everything – i think i need to do more no-sew projects :)

3. Sorcha says:

Hah, this is the kind of DIY project I can get on board with!

4. Meg says:

This is so easy, even I could handle it! Thanks for the great idea, fellow Meg!

5. [...] I read on Megan Nelson’s blog about a ‘scarf’ she made from some a piece of jersey fabric, and I was like duh Loren what’s wrong with you? A [...]