DIY beaded scallop edge detachable collar (with pattern)

November 7th, 2011

Scallop edge detachable beaded collar with FREE pattern

As promised a few weeks ago, I’ve put together a pattern and some instructions for how you can create your own beaded scallop edge detachable collar (phew that’s a mouthful!!)

I honestly love this collar sooo much, and have not stopped wearing it since I made it – but, that being said, it is definitely a project requiring some time and commitment. It took me almost 12 hours to do all the beading – so just keep that in mind before you start.

Ready, set go!

First things first, you’ll need:

1. Some fabric for the collar. I used lining, but you could really use anything
  2. Iron on interfacing
  3. Pearl beads and long bugle beads, I got mine from Jo-Ann fabrics and used just under a bag of each.
  4. The pattern, which you can download below

What do do:

1. Print out the pattern on US letter paper (8.5″ x 11″).
  2. Cut 2 pieces on the fold. Also cut 1 piece of interfacing on the fold, and cut off the seam allowances.

3. Iron the interfacing on to the wrong side of one of the collar pieces (I forgot to do it, and so i ironed mine on after sewing. woops!)
  4. Place the 2 collars right side together and sew 5/8″ from the edge (this line is indicated on the pattern by a dotted line), leaving a 2″ opening on the curved edge. You may find it easier to do this if you track\e the line you will need to sew along onto the fabric first – that way you can sew directly onto your guide line.
  5. Clip the edges and in between the scallops. I personally like doing this with pinking shears
  6. Push the collar through the opening in the sewing. Using some blunt and long like a knitting needle, shape the scallops. Then using your iron give it all a good pressing.
  7. Hand sew the opening closed.
  8. Then sew your beads on. I used this vintage collar as my inspiration – and tried to copy the beaded pattern as best i could. 2 rows of pearl beads around the scallops, then 4 rows of bugle beads then fill in the rest with pearl beads.

9. Lastly, sew on a hook and eye closure on the inside (or a ribbon – that would be really cute!)

1. Vivi says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I’m so in love with this DIY I must make mine!

2. Paunnet says:

WOW! I was expecting this tutorial and it’s great.
    Thank you so much for sharing, Megan!

3. MG says:

oh, this is so sweet! Thank you for your generosity in sharing the pattern for a piece that you’ve put so much time and thought into!

4. Lizz says:

I love this – imagine all the possibilities too! Thanks for the tutorial and the inspiration.

5. Jen says:

CAN NOT WAIT TO MAKE THIS!!! Thank you so much for the pattern/tutorial!!

hehe i’m so glad you liked the tutorial Jen! i hope you enjoy making it – though it took a while, it was such an enjoyable and satisfying project!

6. Eva says:

Thank you for sharing this. It is really nice :)

7. Kathleen says:

This is beautiful! I can’t wait to try it out for myself ^_^

8. chiiiiing says:

Thank you Megan! I’m gonna try it out now :D

9. Monica says:

Thanks so much Meghan. I made one and I love it!

Here’s mine: http://cicciarelli.blogspot.com/2011/11/beaded-collar.html

Your pattern for the collar is perfect.

Monica!! my goodness your collar turned out beautifully!! I love it!! I hear you with the beading – yikes it really is a time commitment, and a little tiring – but i think the effect is worth it!! you’ll keep this for years!

Yay!!! XOXO

10. Lavender says:

OMG! I love detachable collars! I was trying to find a scallop edge pattern for ages! Thank you so much! <3

11. [...] flux RSS, sur Twitter ou sur FacebookVous pourrez vous désinscrire à tout moment. crédit photo Megan NielsenMegan Nielsen rêvait d’un col en perles depuis qu’elle en avait [...]

12. Casey says:

Oooh! I have been wanting to try making a beaded collar, and cannot wait to give this a go! (Once I find/unpack my beads…) Thanks so much for sharing this how-to! :)

13. saltvinegar says:

Oh my gosh… this is so gorgeous! I love you to bits for sharing this~ it’s all the rage in Japan.. but i can’t seem to find this in stores in Malaysia at all~

14. Jeri says:

Into my queue of things to do. I can definitely see this on a Christmas or New Year’s Eve dress!

15. Chloe says:

I love this so much! Thanks for the info and the effort that you put into showing us :]
    I want to make one but I can’t seem to open up the collar pattern. Is it maybe possible that you could send the pdf file to my email? It is shinichilove@hotmail.co.kr.
    I would really appreciate it!
    And thank you once again for the wonderful post :]
    It’s beautiful.

16. [...] DIY beaded scallop edge detachable collar (with pattern) from Megan Nielsen’s Design Diary [...]

17. I am so delighted to see that you have shown how to do this the proper way and not with glue! I use to handle vintage and antique collars like this all the time when I was an antique dealer and I always marveled at the craftmanship that went into them. It looks wonderful!

Thank you so much Ingrid! I am so grateful for your comment! I like this to be made well and so that they last – it breaks my heart when people make things with glue.

I can only imagine the beautiful things you have seen when you were an antique dealer!

Thanks hun!

XOXO

18. [...] made half plain, but then for the rest i sewed little pearl beads at the joins (leftover beads from this collar). I really love [...]

19. OMG this looks as if it came straight from a designer label, you did such a wonderful job! I did a pearl collar necklace from scrap stands of pearl, you might like it!

20. Oana says:

it’s great !
    may i ask..how many pearl beads?
    thanks.

21. Ines says:

Waow i love it! thanks for the tuto! i’ll try it!
    xo

22. Crystal says:

I can’t wait to try this!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Olesya says:

Hello! I really liked this collar! Thank you so much! Megan, how to sew beads on the inside so that it was not see?

P.S. Thank you for your answer!

24. [...] Un peu plus difficile à porter ? Je le trouve marrant en tout cas et surtout l’idée est adaptable aux goûts de chacune. A retrouver chez Megan Nielsen. [...]

25. Aimez-Moi says:

Hi, I love your tutorials. I’ve just been getting into sewing, and am so glad you’ve shown how to do the scalloped edges.

I’ve just found some gorgeous baby aqua chiffon with white polkadots from the 1950′s and was wondering if you have a tutorial for a peter pan collar and also a cap-sleeve. My mum threw out all her patterns, so I’m trying to work out what to do with it.

Thanks!

26. Isapurple says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I did it, it is beautiful.

27. Valentina says:

?????????, ? ????????, ??????? ?????? ?? 50, ????????? ?? ????? ??????????! ???????!

28. [...] -Make a detachable collar covered in jewels… Like this one. [...]

29. [...] it’s taken me ages to blog this – but remember last year when I made a beaded detachable scallop collar?? (yes that was quite the mouthful hehehe). Well Anna went ahead and made her own version, and i [...]

30. Celine says:

This is so cute! I was just wondering, what would I need to do if I wanted a wider hole (as not to choke the neck area too much) ?

31. hinatathekawaiimono says:

Yay! Just the tutorial I wanted. Thanks a bunch! I’m going to attach lace to it rather than adding all the pearls and stuff^^

32. [...] Fashion Rolla & trace it out on the felt. (If you don’t like the peter pan style, try a scallop or make your own style). I overlapped the two sides of the collar so they would meet in the middle [...]

33. Johanna says:

This tutorial is great! I can’t wait to do a collar of my own tomorrow. It is a great thing to wear with my burgundy sweater :)

34. sogirly says:

Great tutorial !
    I did it easily. Thank you very much !!!

35. [...] Scallop Edge Detachable Pearl Collar by Megan Nielsen here. I was going to suggest glue and then read one comment saying how happy they were she sewed this [...]

36. TipPrincess says:

How cute oh my gosh! I really love the beads! And I would never have thought a scalloped edge would work but it looks adorable. Do you think fashion glue would work, too (for a sew-a-phobe), or would you only suggest sewing? I love adding collars and stuff to an outfit to make it feel more “you”. I’ve just written a post about it and I’d seriously love your opinion! They’re just for collared shirts really and my tutorials aren’t as polished as yours but it’s my first attempt.

37. This is such a great tutorial and pattern. I’m off to make my very own collar now with some bright orange and green 60s fabric.

38. Kim Blair says:

this is beautiful I printed the instructions and pattern can’t wait to make it

39. Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyways, I’m definitely delighted I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking
    back often!