DIY tote bag

August 15th, 2011

If you’ve ever wondered how to make a nice tote bag to carry all your junk around in (or am i the only one with junk?? hehe) – here’s a little tutorial to help you out!

As something a little different, todays tutorial will just involve pictures (they’re pretty self explanatory!). Once you’re done, (if you like) you can learn how to dip dye your tote to look really cute and unique with this tutorial.

Happy sewing!!

1. Kristin says:

So awesome! I’m dying to get some fabric and do this. Thanks!
    XO

2. Marydon says:

Visiting you via Julia’s Sew. You make it look so easy. Wish I could sew, but alas … not so good.

Would you be so kind to leave a comment on my BLOG ONLY (no emails count) thru the 18th, for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored. Help me spread the word.

Have a beautiful weekend.
    Hugs,
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

3. Amy says:

I made one similar to this last year for Mother’s Day; my Mum loved it but I still haven’t got round to making myself one…maybe I will now :D

You definitley should!! I always do that, i’ll make something for someone else and then lust after it for ages wishing i’d made one for me too!! hehe

4. Cheryl says:

Wow! Nice DIY…you make it so easy, maybe I can try this seing thing!
    Cheryl

5. Andrew says:

I once made a tote bag for carrying lunch to work, but it came out weird. Now I know why – the 2″ square cut outs at the bottom make a big difference! Thanks, I’ll definitely make a better bag next time!

6. sparkling74 says:

It’s those corners that get me every time. This seems like a brilliant way to do and it I want to run right to my machine and give it a whirl! I have no trouble with the rest, it’s just those bottom corners!

7. kim says:

sweet tutorial. thanks. I just made one, so I can teach it to a beginners sowing class on the weekend. You saved me working it all out myself.
    Cheers.
    kim

8. monica says:

My employer just recently required us to carry only clear bags so they can see what we are bringing into and out of work. Thanks to your tutorial, I’m whipping up a vinyl version tonight. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but at least it is clear!

9. [...] megan nielsen design diary – DIY tote bag DIY tutorials FAQ’s Collections Links becoming a designer Sewing Patterns [...]

10. [...] used this tutorial as my base, but modified it quite a bit. French seamed all the way except for the corners (I need a [...]

11. Lauren says:

hai, this looks great for going to the supermarket with no more silly plastic bags, hah um is the measurements in centimetres?? (sorry if that’s a stupid question)

12. Danae says:

Thank you so much for this DIY! I used it to make a Birthday present and it turned out great.

13. Maleikie says:

Hi,

Love the tutorial, i wrote a blogpost, linked it back 2 you. Keep going, have a nice day!

X Maleikie

14. Vanesa says:

It´s perfectly explained! I´ll try to do it whith leather instead of fabric…thanks!!! =^^=

15. [...] recurrir a tejidos estampados y de diferentes materiales. Sigue las instrucciones del blog de Megan Nielsen para crear tu bolso desde [...]

16. LeDena says:

Can you tell me how to change the measurements to make the bag much wider on the bottom. Would it be simply cutting in further than 2″. Our town inposed a law against plasic bags at every store. I need my bag to be wide enough to carry multiple large, heavy items for use at the grocery store. Thank you :)

17. Issy4031 says:

Just made a tote using your instructions & I even added a liner & it worked out great! Thank you!

18. [...] used this canvas fabric from Mood Fabrics, and then Megan Nielsen’s tote bag tutorial. (The one on the right is the ‘thicker straps’ version and the one on the left is the [...]

19. Love the design, thanks for sharing! and for the clear instructions :) I think even I might manage that!

20. [...] e incluso complementos, aunque también muy fáciles de coser, -si no sabéis como se hacen aquí encontraréis el paso a paso por si os atrevéis con la aguja. Y aquí las instrucciones para [...]

21. Gabbie says:

I am so making this for school! maybe I will add ruffles and a few flowers….

22. MalcolmByron says:

Its very easy to make, thanx for sharing.

23. Mery says:

Gracias!

24. Domenic says:

Keep on writing, great job!

Feel free to visit my site – Canvas Tote Bags (Domenic)

25. Madeline says:

What size of seam allowance are you using?

26. [...] I followed the tutorials of making tote bag from this blog Megan Nielsen Blog .. I adore her blog so much, she gave easiest steps in each picture (yes, it perfectly explained in [...]

27. ????? ?? ?? says:

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but
    I find this topic to be really something which I think
    I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me.
    I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

28. ?? ????? says:

Everyone loves what you guys are up too. This sort of clever
    work and reporting! Keep up the fantastic works guys
    I’ve included you guys to blogroll.

Review my site :: ?? ?????

29. bella says:

hello, if u don’t mind can u tell me what fabric did u use?

30. Pam in Amsterdam says:

what a great tutorial! I have made a tote bag from an old linen coat. Thanks for this awesome instructions. A picture tells more than 100 words.