DIY tote bag

If you’ve ever wondered how to make a nice tote bag to carry all your junk around in (or am i the only one with junk?? hehe) – here’s a little tutorial to help you out!

As something a little different, todays tutorial will just involve pictures (they’re pretty self explanatory!). Once you’re done, (if you like) you can learn how to dip dye your tote to look really cute and unique with this tutorial.

Happy sewing!!

Never miss a post!

Enter your email address to receive our posts right to your inbox

Comments

1. Marydon says

Visiting you via Julia’s Sew. You make it look so easy. Wish I could sew, but alas … not so good.

Would you be so kind to leave a comment on my BLOG ONLY (no emails count) thru the 18th, for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored. Help me spread the word.

Have a beautiful weekend.
    Hugs,
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

2. says

I made one similar to this last year for Mother’s Day; my Mum loved it but I still haven’t got round to making myself one…maybe I will now :D

• MegMeg says

You definitley should!! I always do that, i’ll make something for someone else and then lust after it for ages wishing i’d made one for me too!! hehe

3. says

I once made a tote bag for carrying lunch to work, but it came out weird. Now I know why – the 2″ square cut outs at the bottom make a big difference! Thanks, I’ll definitely make a better bag next time!

4. says

It’s those corners that get me every time. This seems like a brilliant way to do and it I want to run right to my machine and give it a whirl! I have no trouble with the rest, it’s just those bottom corners!

5. says

sweet tutorial. thanks. I just made one, so I can teach it to a beginners sowing class on the weekend. You saved me working it all out myself.
    Cheers.
    kim

6. says

My employer just recently required us to carry only clear bags so they can see what we are bringing into and out of work. Thanks to your tutorial, I’m whipping up a vinyl version tonight. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but at least it is clear!

7. Lauren says

hai, this looks great for going to the supermarket with no more silly plastic bags, hah um is the measurements in centimetres?? (sorry if that’s a stupid question)

8. Danae says

Thank you so much for this DIY! I used it to make a Birthday present and it turned out great.

9. Vanesa says

It´s perfectly explained! I´ll try to do it whith leather instead of fabric…thanks!!! =^^=

10. LeDena says

Can you tell me how to change the measurements to make the bag much wider on the bottom. Would it be simply cutting in further than 2″. Our town inposed a law against plasic bags at every store. I need my bag to be wide enough to carry multiple large, heavy items for use at the grocery store. Thank you :)

11. Issy4031 says

Just made a tote using your instructions & I even added a liner & it worked out great! Thank you!

12. says

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but
    I find this topic to be really something which I think
    I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me.
    I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

13. says

Everyone loves what you guys are up too. This sort of clever
    work and reporting! Keep up the fantastic works guys
    I’ve included you guys to blogroll.

Review my site :: ?? ?????

• MegMeg says

Hi Bella,

I used Calico/Muslin – it’s just the cheapest raw cotton that you can find at sewing stores :)

XOXO

14. Pam in Amsterdam says

what a great tutorial! I have made a tote bag from an old linen coat. Thanks for this awesome instructions. A picture tells more than 100 words.

Trackbacks