blazing

August 22nd, 2011

It’s amazing to me the projects that take me a long time – mostly because of procrastination. I found this blazer in a thrift store, it was a rather boring cream colour – but it fit me perfectly, and wasn’t too long – which can be kind of hard for to find when you’re below average in height!

I instantly had this vision of a teal blazer with elbow patches – and after a bit of work, I feel like the finished product is pretty darn close to what i imagined!! I like that it’s a nod to vintage menswear, but isn’t a recreation of anything. (Before photos and step by steps on how I changed it up are at the bottom of this post).

Now back to the procrastination bit – I got this blazer in – wait for – MARCH. yikes, right?! hehe but even though it took me 5 months to get around to finishing it, I’m so pleased, because now as the weather starts cooling down I’ve got the perfect little blazer to help me transistion. And you know whats even better? I’m the only one who has one just like it! Smiles all round :)

Top: gift from my SIL
Blazer: Talbots (hehe), thrifted – dyed using RIT dye & added elbow patches
Jeggings: (yes I admit it, they are jeggings hehe) GAP
Shoes: c/o Modcloth
Necklace: ??

And here’s a little look at how I changed up this blazer from boring to super cute!

I started with a cream blazer. First i checked to make sure it was a natural fiber – and since it was 100% cotton i knew i was good to go.

I washed it, and then dunked it in a dye bath using RIT Teal dye (I am ridiculously obsessed with this colour!!!)

After dying it i rinsed it, washed it in my machine and then dried it.

I couldn’t decide between light or dark patches, but after consulting my twitter pals i went with the light.

I pinned them carefully in place, and then slowly and carefully hand stitched them in a casual (but still neat) way.

I’m sooooo thrilled with how this blazer turned out!!!

If you want to re-create this project you’ll need:

• A cream blazer in a natural fiber (cotton, linen, silk, wool etc) as they take dye better
  • A bottle of RIT liquid dye in Teal (or your colour of choice)
  • A few dying supplies (a bucket, and rubber gloves)
  • A small amount of leather (or contrasting fabric) for elbow patches
  • A needle, thread and scissors to hand sew it on.

1. Kiri says:

There’s nothing wrong with being obsessed with a colour when it suits you so well! Loving the heel on those shoes btw

2. Casey says:

Brilliant! I just adore the color you dyed it. I have to tell you: thanks to you and your dying projects, I’ve been toying with the idea of picking up some dye to try and “spiff up” a two piece outfit I’m refashioning. Right now it’s a bit light and blah, but I figure a bit of dye might help things! Just need to decide on what shade of blue to overdye it… ;)

Casey that totally maes me day! You should totally overdye it! I love dying things – sometimes i think i may be a little too obsessed hehe but it’s just such an easy way to give something new life!

• Casey says:

I think I’ve been scared by the idea of dying something for ages (I tried a couple times when I was a teenager, and had rather disastrous results! :p But I’ve researched a lot since then… so hopefully I’ve learned! ;). But you make it seem so easy! I’ll keep ya posted on how it turns out…

3. Kelly says:

That looks great. And love the elbow patches, which give the jacket a little something extra …

Kelly @
    Elegantly Academic

4. BiblioMOMia says:

I don’t know what my favorite part of this is: the awesome blazer, or the light colored jeans, or the shoes, or your cute hair. Basically, this is a WIN. Especially that blazer.

It looks so easy when you dye things. I have a feeling that I’m going to end up covered in teal…

thanks sweetpea!! hehe honestly, i cover myself in protective gear, because i’m sooooo clutzy!! i wear gloves, flip flops and an apron! hehe

5. ashley says:

that’s an amazing blazer transformation – and I really love those shoes! I think they’ll be amazing in the fall – really solid, chunky heels always make me think of fall.

6. Della says:

So cute! I love elbow patches. Definitely like the light patch better!

Love the necklace that you are sporting!

7. Brandy says:

I love it! I need a new blazer in my life.

8. Loren says:

Great idea. I just thrifted a cream blazer and then IMMEDIATELY ruined it by washing it with a pair of red shorts… If it doesn’t come out in the was I might have to try dyeing it. Either way I’ll probably add some elbow patches because I love them and I always forget that I can just add some myself if I want.

oh gosh, i cannot count the number of times i’ve done that too. It’s so frustrating!! Dying it might turn out really awesome though!

9. Cheryl says:

That is so fabulous!!!!! I love the elbow patches!!!!!

10. Shelly says:

It looks so good! I love the colour and how you added the elbow patches :)

11. Jess says:

Adorable blazer. I love the elbow patches.

12. blouse says:

i love this blazer idea!! i want to see more of your designs. super cute! and i love your hair too.

xo~jane

13. Kyla says:

You are just way too clever! And those shoes are AMAZING!

14. Anita says:

Meg i gotta say that i love this project! I’m def trying it next winter, where I live we are in spring… something else: LOOOOVE YOUR SHOES! they look so cute and comfy!

15. [...] really adore elbow patches – which is why it’s kind of weird that i’ve only done one project so far with elbow patches. Really [...]