DIY jersey maxi skirt

July 26th, 2011

How to make a jersey maxi skirt // @megan_nielsenHow to make a jersey maxi skirt // @megan_nielsen
I’m so happy you all liked the maxi skirt i made a few weeks ago! As promised I’ve put together a little tutorial on how you can make one yourself.

Instructions after the jump!

What you’ll need:

- 1.5 yards of 58/60″ wide jersey fabric (You could just as easily make this with a non stretchy fabric, I just think it’s more comfy and drapey in jersey)
- 1 yard of 2″ wide elastic

What do to:

1)  Figure out how long you want your skirt to be, then add on 3 inches. For me I wanted my skirt to be 43″ long so that I could wear it with heels – so my magic number was 46″ (43 + 3) – now cut your fabric to be as long as the measurement you just calculated. So you will end up with a rectangle – mine was 58/60″ wide and 46″ long.

2)  Now fold your fabric in half width ways with the right sides together. Sew down the side 1/2″ from the raw edge using either a serger/overlocker or a zig zag stitch on a regular machine.

3)  Now it’s time to hem the skirt, if you like you can neaten the raw edge by using either  a serger/overlocker or a zig zag stitch – but it’s not really necessary as jersey doesn’t fray. Fold under 1/2″ and top stitch the hem. (I used a double needle but you can just as easily use a zig zag stitch)

4)  Now we’re going to create the waistband. Like before you can neaten the raw edge if you like, but it’s not necessary. Fold under 2.5″ of fabric and stitch close to the raw edge – making sure you leave a 2-3″ opening so we can thread the elastic. Once again i used a double needle, but you can also use a zig zag stitch.

5)  Now we’re going to cut our elastic. Measure yourself at your natural waistline (or where you want the skirt to sit). Now cut the elastic to be that long. For me my measurement was 28″. Attach a safety pin or bodkin to the end of your elastic and thread it through the waistband casing. When you reach the opening overlap the elastic by 1/2″ and stitch. Then sew the opening closed.

6)  This last step is totally optional – but i find it really irritating when the elastic in waistbands starts to get twisted through longer wear, so i like to top stitch down the middle of the waistband, attaching the skirt to the elastic. It’s a really easy technique, you just stretch the elastic and then sew using a regular straight stitch all the way round.

And now you’re done! I hope you enjoy your skirt!!

How to make a jersey maxi skirt // @megan_nielsen

** If you need some extra tips on sewing with stretchy fabric, then check out this post, or if you’re looking for somewhere to buy jersey fabric check this one out.

1. Emily says:

Thanks for the tutorial! Now I just need to hunt down some jersey! :)

2. Lo Hood says:

thanks so much for the tutorial! I really looked everywhere for one on a maxi and then just made my own..only it didn’t sit as high up as I had wished. I will definitely be trying again with your DIY! :) -Lo

I hope it turns out better this time!! Maybe you might need stronger elastic to help it stay up (just an idea?)- i tried 1″ wide elastic first, and it just couldn’t handle the weight of the fabric – i wonder if the same thing happened for you ? XOXO

3. Anjela says:

Easy-peasy and it looks great= I’m sold! :)

4. Casey says:

So easy! Much easier than the one I made myself back in March… (I over-complicate things frequently. lol.) I’m going to have to whip up another before autumn gets here! Perfect for days I just feel like wearing something super-comfy, but still want to look nice. ;) Thanks for sharing this how-to!

5. jess says:

It looks great. Maybe I’ll try this out.

6. This looks like something out of a magazine. The country setting suits you and your designs so well! I love it! hope to make it out there sometime in the not-so-distant future :-)

7. Hannah says:

This is great! I think I could even handle this with my very very very basic sewing skills. Thanks so much for the tutorial. If I make one I will be sure to let you know!

8. Dusana says:

Love your skirt, so summery, awesome job!! Giving this DIY a try is now on my to-do list, thanks for sharing it and thanks for the straightforward directions, for once it actually looks followable : )

9. Jess says:

Thanks for the tutorial! Now that I have my new sewing machine I will be sure to give this a try.

10. [...] of knocking something together quickly. Do you recognise the fabric? It’s the scraps from my maxi skirt. It only took about 15 minutes, and i’m kind of in love with it. I think it goes so perfectly [...]

11. [...] store. So changed up the neckline, got rid of those sleeves and added a curved hem. Paired with my favourite new skirt (are you girls tired of me wearing this yet?), i feel very Kyla [...]

12. Laura says:

So excited! I have been looking for a good, but simple, maxi skirt tutorial all summer and this one looks perfect. I can’t wait to go fabric shopping now… thank you for sharing x

13. Kristen says:

This is perfect – I just bought some jersey to make a skirt like this, but couldn’t find any pics/tutorials of what I was thinking of. Plus, I think your wide elastic and top-stitching down the middle are great – I hate that twisty elastic trickery, too.

14. [...] Another skirt i loved is this jersey skirt by {Megan Nielsen} [...]

15. [...] Another skirt i loved is this jersey skirt by {Megan Nielsen} [...]

16. Anna says:

I agree with using jersey for a project like this. Great choice. <3

17. Clare F says:

This looks absolutely gorgeous. I’ve been searching for a good tutorial on how to make a maxi skirt and this is my favourite, so thanks!

18. i LOVE this! just found it on pinterest. i love maxi skirts and dresses, but i KNEW i could sew one. so THANKS for the great tute. LOVE! xo, alicia

19. Bonnie says:

I saw this tutorial a week or so ago and then watched the Grammy’s last night and thought your skirt tutorial could be done with ruffle fabric to look like The Band Perry singer’s skirt when she performed. Her skirt was a bit bulky but it was with a pretty gold ruffle fabric. Odd styling but somehow I loved it. Also I saw a Free People dress which was an elastic waist but with a pleated maxi skirt. I wouldn’t want to pleat all my fabric though. Have you worked with pre-pleated fabric? J/w. (Sorry for all my ideas here)I’m more of a beginner with a wild imagination! I should probably make the skirt in jersey first before I let my mind wander! :) Thanks for the tutorial!

20. mare says:

Such a gorgeous skirt on you! Thanks so much for the tutorial! :)

21. [...] soft and comfortable and I freaking made it myself. I read the tutorials from threadbare and from Megan Nielsen before hitting Jo-ann and finding the right fabric. It took me just a few hours to pop this [...]

22. Emily Margaret says:

Lovely! Would this work with a woven linen-look fabric?

23. Suzy says:

Just a question, How much more fabric would a person need if they were like a size 18 in womens sizes. Would love to make one for a friend for her birthday as she loves maxi’s.

Thank you!!

Hi Suzy! To be honest it really depends on how fitted or loose you’d like it to sit. You could use the same fabric dimensions i gave in the tutorial (but with a larger waistline elastic), and you would get a closer fitting skirt. To get the same level of fullness as in the photos above i think I would add on an extra 8-10 inches to the total fabric width as a guide. I hope that helps a bit!! XOXO

24. Danaë says:

really LOVE THE SKIRT!!!

25. Erin says:

I forgot to ask you in my earlier comment: where did you get the fabric you used for this skirt? I love how light and flowy it looks!

26. Sam says:

This is so cute and simple. I can’t wait to try it myself! Looks great on you!

-Sam
    styleboner.blogspot.com

27. Hueyna says:

Hey, I just stopping by and wonder if anyone needs some ideas on what to wear with your maxi skirts. I just discussed about it in my blog, feel free to visit..

28. [...] generally followed Megan Nielsen’s tutorial for a jersey maxi [...]

29. Jenni says:

This DIY is amazing! but where did you buy the elastic? can’t find it anywhere :/

30. Megan , did you wash the fabric before you cut it and sewed it ??

Sylvia

31. [...] what you get when you go pattern free. It was so much fun!Megan Nielson’s blog has a great jersey skirt tutorial with an enclosed waist band if you want to whip up something similar. Outside the beautiful Abbey [...]

32. [...] found this great Megan Nielsen tutorial on-line and got a couple of metres of stretch jersey in this lovely floral print- it’s like a [...]

33. Eve says:

This is great!! We have an annual medieval dress up day at my school ( and as you can tell from that, I am a teen and have very basic sewing skills) and I used this as my skirt! So easy and great for the occasion! I won a prize for best dressed, so thanks so much!! Will definitely make some out of more comfortable material to wear around the house!

34. Tash says:

Looks fantastic! Thank you for the tutorial. Just wondering, would the steps be the same if you were to do a lace or sheer overlay? Thanks!

35. xiu xiu says:

AWESOME I AM GONNA TRY OUT THIS WONDERFUL TUTORIAL ! THANKS FOR SHARING ;-)!

36. RAMI says:

Made it and it turned out great. Thanks heaps for a fantastic skirt :)

37. Rebecca says:

Question: Did you use regular thread or elastic thread. I have read a couple different places that elastic thread is needed with jersey/stretchy fabric. I didn’t see it listed specifically and thought I would ask. thanks! Love the simple directions!