DIY: rosette necklace from old tights

March 24th, 2011

You guys, I’m not wearing makeup and my hair has a mind of it’s own – is it okay if we pretend that’s not the case? okay? cool.

Sooooo day 4 of old tights DIY’s. How fun is this? Well i’m having fun! Anyway, I keep seeing rosette necklaces everywhere. I’m not sure why, but they are everywhere. So I made one. Wow wasn’t that an interesting story? haha

1. Remember yesterday when I cut the legs of the tights into strips 1″ wide? Well I kept some of them aside
  2. Sew very long loose stitches along one edge of the tube, till you go all the way round.
  3. Pull the threads tight and tie a knot. Ta da you have a rosette.
  4. Make a few more
  5. Lay them face down, and lay an old chain over the top
  6. If the chain links were large enough i could have stitched right through them, but they weren’t – so I stitched around them and pulled tight.
  7. Next, just for visual interest, i layed another one lower than the 3, and attached it to two of the rosettes on the edge
  8. Optional: you could embelish yours with other fabrics, beads, or what have you, but to be honest I just didn’t feel like it today – but I do really like it plain!

Also, stay tuned, because my last project using tights is for Bunny – sooooo cute!

1. steffy says:

omg, this is so cute! and it doesnt look hard at all!

<3 steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

2. Trudy Callan says:

That would be a great project for kids to do, too, like my Emily who is 11.

You look great without makeup.

Definitely – it’s one of those things that is super easy and quick but has a great pay off!

3. kimie says:

Wow, Megan. I can’t believe you’re able to make so many cute things out of a pair of tights! Kind of makes me regret taking back a pair of teal blue tights to the store when I found a hole was in them (not my fault! it was manufacture defect). They would be perfect for the headband and necklace!

Thanks Kimie!! You’re right, teal would have been perfect for the headband and necklace! hehe hopefully you snag a pair soon so you can try it out xoxo

• kimmie says:

haha, too bad I only snag my black tights, which would make for boring a necklace/headband.. but may be nice for the tank top embellishment! :)

4. Justine says:

WOW! I can’t wait to see what you’re making for Bunny. Will there be another project after that?!

Just Better Together

hmmmm I was planning it to be my last – but I do have a small bit of the tights left – so maybe I’ll do just one more! I’ll see how I feel tomorrow!

5. Sarah says:

I absolutely love this series!! I might buy a new, 2$ pair of tights just so I can do some of these projects :) How you are able to rock curls naturally like that without the mad scientist look, I’ll never know. My curls make me look demented half the time!

Awwww you are so sweet!! The truth is, they have been the bain of my existence my whole life, so now I spend a LOT of money on hair care products!

6. Chelsea S. says:

Megan – I just found your blog the other day, and I am hooked! I’d been lusting after your clothing since I saw Kendi’s pictures of it months ago… little did I know you had a blog! This DIY chain with that one pair of tights is amazing.

Thanks Chelsea! You made my day! I’m always so thrilled to meet people who like my designs! XOXO

7. Meg says:

This is adorable! It makes me wish I had several colorful pairs of tights to play with…

8. Rochelle says:

I must recreate this! I bought a pair of tights from target that weren’t sewn all the way up the seam and I think instead of returning them I’ll just make this necklace and probably that headband!!!

9. kelsey says:

Megan, that is adorable!

10. Claudine says:

<3 thank you so much - clever girl!