so you want pink pants hey?

I’m sometimes (okay often) really bad at explaining how I came up with stuff. I make it, and wear it- and expect that when I show it to you guys, everyone will magically know how I got there. Well turns out my husband isn’t the only person who can’t read my mind!! hehe

So lets talk about my pink skinny jeans – which I officially adore, and I’m so pleased to find out you guys like too!! Well the original inspiration from these jeans of Bunny’s (which if you’ve been reading this blog for a while, then you know I absolutely covet and have bought the exact same pair for Bunny for the last 3 winters in a row). Then when I saw my dear friend Kendi in her red Gap cords I thought I may have found the “grown up” version. But they did not work on me. Like at all. I tried them on in Gap a couple of times, and they just looked shocking on me. And not in a good way. I figure it’s just that red isn’t my strongest colour. But I knew that more pinky version work well on me, so I got creative. I went TJ Maxx and found a pair of white jeans ($5!!). When I got them home I washed and tumble dried them (always a good idea when you buy stuff, because they put chemicals in the clothing to make it look good in the store). Then I took out my favourite shade of RIT dye, “Wine” – and I dyed the pants!! I’ve done a couple of posts on this in the past, but all you need to do to dye something is fill a bucket with really hot water (even hot out of the tap is fine!), mix the dye in well, then submerge the item for a few hours (sometimes you can get away with less). Stir it a few times to makes sure it get’s equally dyed. Rinse till the water runs clear and you’re done! I like to add the extra step of washing and tumble drying them on their own afterwards, just to make sure no dye is left.

Since I wanted to make mine into skinny jeans, I wanted to make sure they wouldn’t shrink on me after I’d cut and sewn them (it’s happened before). So I wore them as boot cuts for a few weeks, and washed and tumble dried them between uses, till I was sure all the dye was set, and the pants wouldn’t shrink anymore. Then I laid my favourite skinnies on top, cut around them on the hem and inside legs (leaving seam allowance) then sewed them up, and hemmed again. Taaa daaaaaa! (it’s kind of a similar project to these leggings I made from track pants)

Wanna know why I think this is a great project? You can perfectly customize your own colour, no-one will have the exact same pants, and for some unknown reason (sarcasm) white jeans seem to be in abundance in thrift stores. I’m thinking turquoise jeans next – what do you think?

Pink skinny jeans: Lee, dyed using RIT dye in “Wine” , and skinnied by me
Cardigan: Gap, overdyed (I’ll show you how I did this next time!)
Top: gift from my SIL
Shoes: BCBG, via TJ Maxx
Belt: Target
Pendat: Vintage, family heirloom from my mom

Never miss a post!

Enter your email address to receive our posts right to your inbox

Featured Products

Megan Nielsen Fabric stash note cards Megan Nielsen Briar sweater and tee sewing pattern Megan Nielsen Yes I Sew, No i won't do your mending tote bag

1. says

yay i love RIT dye! unfortunately, in college it’s hard to dye stuff without totally killing the bathroom/washing machine that has to be shared between everyone, so i save my dyeing for when i’m home on vacations. LOVE the pink and love the whole head-to-toe look!

happy valentine’s day!

2. says

I have one cardigan that I’ve dyed myself, I’m actually wearing it today! I’m so stinking proud of this sweater, I tell everyone who compliments the color that I dyed it myself! I’ve wanted a pair of colored skinny jeans for a while and I have some white ones that fit me pretty well actually. I should just bite the bullet and do it! Love your dye projects, happy valentines day!

3. Carla says

Can I ask you an altering question? I have tried several times to alter bootcut jeans to skinny and have a hard time not getting a lump on the side seam. I don’t usually take in the hip, so I sew from the ankle up, trying to smoothly merge into the existing seam, but often get a weird bump that is visible once the jeans are right side out and on the body. Do you know any tricks to avoid this?
    Love today’s post! I have a yellow cable sweater in a bucket with some navy rit today :) Thanks for the inspiration!

• MegMeg says

I know exactly what you mean! but I don’t think I have a special trick for avoiding it :( I find the way I avoid it is just by making the merge over a larger distance – as in if you try and merge the new seam with the existing too soon you get a bulge, but if you merge very slowly perhaps not? The only other thing I can think is that perhaps there is too much seam allowance in the new edge?
      Sorry I wish I could have been more help!

• Carla says

Thank you, that is encouraging! Lets me know that I am not doing something really wrong. I will try merging slower and keep practicing…oh faithful seam ripper! :) Hope life gets a little less crazy for you soon!

4. Annelise Nielsen says

I love that you wear so much colour in winter! But why do the shoes look purple in the photos but red at the bottom?

• Annelise says

Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that! I thought maybe you were like me and bought the same shoes in multiple colours!! Especially because they are such beautiful shoes I would want them in multiple colours!

5. says

At first I was thinking, “pink jeans, o…kay” but the more I look at them the more awesome they get. I’m not a pink kinda gal but these are really amazing and such a clever (yet so simply obvious) way to get the colour you want.

1. […] Next stop and think about the colour your garment currently is, and what colour you want it to end up as. My sweater was lavender and I wanted it to be more plummy. i didn’t want a super bright purple, or a very blue like purple – I wanted it with a bit more red. So I knew I’d need a redish dye – I chose wine, since I already had a bucket full of wine dye after making these pants. […]