so you want pink pants hey?

February 14th, 2011

I’m sometimes (okay often) really bad at explaining how I came up with stuff. I make it, and wear it- and expect that when I show it to you guys, everyone will magically know how I got there. Well turns out my husband isn’t the only person who can’t read my mind!! hehe

So lets talk about my pink skinny jeans – which I officially adore, and I’m so pleased to find out you guys like too!! Well the original inspiration from these jeans of Bunny’s (which if you’ve been reading this blog for a while, then you know I absolutely covet and have bought the exact same pair for Bunny for the last 3 winters in a row). Then when I saw my dear friend Kendi in her red Gap cords I thought I may have found the “grown up” version. But they did not work on me. Like at all. I tried them on in Gap a couple of times, and they just looked shocking on me. And not in a good way. I figure it’s just that red isn’t my strongest colour. But I knew that more pinky version work well on me, so I got creative. I went TJ Maxx and found a pair of white jeans ($5!!). When I got them home I washed and tumble dried them (always a good idea when you buy stuff, because they put chemicals in the clothing to make it look good in the store). Then I took out my favourite shade of RIT dye, “Wine” – and I dyed the pants!! I’ve done a couple of posts on this in the past, but all you need to do to dye something is fill a bucket with really hot water (even hot out of the tap is fine!), mix the dye in well, then submerge the item for a few hours (sometimes you can get away with less). Stir it a few times to makes sure it get’s equally dyed. Rinse till the water runs clear and you’re done! I like to add the extra step of washing and tumble drying them on their own afterwards, just to make sure no dye is left.

Since I wanted to make mine into skinny jeans, I wanted to make sure they wouldn’t shrink on me after I’d cut and sewn them (it’s happened before). So I wore them as boot cuts for a few weeks, and washed and tumble dried them between uses, till I was sure all the dye was set, and the pants wouldn’t shrink anymore. Then I laid my favourite skinnies on top, cut around them on the hem and inside legs (leaving seam allowance) then sewed them up, and hemmed again. Taaa daaaaaa! (it’s kind of a similar project to these leggings I made from track pants)

Wanna know why I think this is a great project? You can perfectly customize your own colour, no-one will have the exact same pants, and for some unknown reason (sarcasm) white jeans seem to be in abundance in thrift stores. I’m thinking turquoise jeans next – what do you think?

Pink skinny jeans: Lee, dyed using RIT dye in “Wine” , and skinnied by me
Cardigan: Gap, overdyed (I’ll show you how I did this next time!)
Top: gift from my SIL
Shoes: BCBG, via TJ Maxx
Belt: Target
Pendat: Vintage, family heirloom from my mom

1. April says:

yay i love RIT dye! unfortunately, in college it’s hard to dye stuff without totally killing the bathroom/washing machine that has to be shared between everyone, so i save my dyeing for when i’m home on vacations. LOVE the pink and love the whole head-to-toe look!

happy valentine’s day!
    ape-z.blogspot.com

2. BiblioMOMia says:

Oh the shoes. Oh the shoes with the PANTS! Love.

3. Jessica J. says:

I have one cardigan that I’ve dyed myself, I’m actually wearing it today! I’m so stinking proud of this sweater, I tell everyone who compliments the color that I dyed it myself! I’ve wanted a pair of colored skinny jeans for a while and I have some white ones that fit me pretty well actually. I should just bite the bullet and do it! Love your dye projects, happy valentines day!

4. Carla says:

Can I ask you an altering question? I have tried several times to alter bootcut jeans to skinny and have a hard time not getting a lump on the side seam. I don’t usually take in the hip, so I sew from the ankle up, trying to smoothly merge into the existing seam, but often get a weird bump that is visible once the jeans are right side out and on the body. Do you know any tricks to avoid this?
    Love today’s post! I have a yellow cable sweater in a bucket with some navy rit today :) Thanks for the inspiration!

I know exactly what you mean! but I don’t think I have a special trick for avoiding it :( I find the way I avoid it is just by making the merge over a larger distance – as in if you try and merge the new seam with the existing too soon you get a bulge, but if you merge very slowly perhaps not? The only other thing I can think is that perhaps there is too much seam allowance in the new edge?
      Sorry I wish I could have been more help!

• Carla says:

Thank you, that is encouraging! Lets me know that I am not doing something really wrong. I will try merging slower and keep practicing…oh faithful seam ripper! :) Hope life gets a little less crazy for you soon!

5. Annelise Nielsen says:

I love that you wear so much colour in winter! But why do the shoes look purple in the photos but red at the bottom?

umm cos i’m a bad photographer… they really are purple…

• Annelise says:

Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that! I thought maybe you were like me and bought the same shoes in multiple colours!! Especially because they are such beautiful shoes I would want them in multiple colours!

6. jentine says:

Denim reworking skills are yours. I have been on a mad thrift hunt for coloured denim… so far no luck but I know it’ll happen:).

7. Alana says:

Love the color combo.

8. Pam Speak says:

At first I was thinking, “pink jeans, o…kay” but the more I look at them the more awesome they get. I’m not a pink kinda gal but these are really amazing and such a clever (yet so simply obvious) way to get the colour you want.

9. [...] Next stop and think about the colour your garment currently is, and what colour you want it to end up as. My sweater was lavender and I wanted it to be more plummy. i didn’t want a super bright purple, or a very blue like purple – I wanted it with a bit more red. So I knew I’d need a redish dye – I chose wine, since I already had a bucket full of wine dye after making these pants. [...]

10. You inspire me to the nth degree. I’ve seen lots of diy, but you are by far the most approachable. Thank you!

11. Chantele Cross-Jones says:

Wow you did a great job on these, whenever I try to dye stuff I always end up with streaks and lines. I would love to try this with some trousers or shorts, will have to scour the Charity shops for some white stuff!
    Daisy Dayz Home
    Cross-Jones-Photography Home
    The Daily Swoon
    The Penthouse Clan

12. [...] the weather has dictated that my pink jeans are back in action! Don’t forget about this tutorial if you’d like to try your hand at making your own coloured [...]