DIY Fridays: How to make an elastic waistband dress

2010-06-24 5Ever since last year, when I made this dress I’ve been getting heaps of requests for a tutorial. But if you have been reading  my blog since then, you’ll know that pretty soon after I made it I found out I was pregnant, got incredibly morning sick and took a break from blogging… and totally forgot about the dress! Until I wore it again when I was preggers and remembered I’d promised a tutorial – and it’s been on my to do list since then!

2010-06-24 2As a side note I get a huge number of emails about beginner sewing projects- and pretty much everyone wants their first sewing project to be some sort of party dress… I generally recommend against dresses as beginner projects because there’s so much involved – BUT I think this dress would actually be do-able as a beginner project, as you’re really only sewing the skirt part, and you’re using a tank top for the top.

2010-06-24 4So if you’d like to make one yourself, click on the link below and download the tutorial. (I know it’s a giant button, but there’s always someone who can’t find the hyperlink so I’m trying to make things easier!) Happy sewing!

click here to download the elastic waistband tutorial

ps. please excuse my weird hair… like I said the other day it got super frizzy by the end of a day at the fair!

2010-06-24 1Dress: Megan Nielsen – made from an old tank top
Shoes: Ninewest
Locket: Vintage family heirloom from my mom

Never miss a post!

Enter your email address to receive our posts right to your inbox

Comments

1. Carla says

Thank you for posting this! I’ve had my top and bottom pieces waiting in a bag all week :)

2. says

These dresses are adorable and I’m seeing them everywhere at the moment. Definitely want to try this one!
    I love your stripey one!

3. says

It was a great idea for me to catch up on my blog reading. I have been wanting to be this type dress. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

4. says

Cute dress! I’ve been wanting to make a dress like this for a couple of months now… I have the tank and skirt picked out… I just need to find wide elastic.

5. says

This is a brilliant tutorial, thank you so much! I literally just saw dresses like these at a craft fair over the weekend and was tempted to buy one but for the extortionate price tag. Now I can make one myself, so much more satisfying :-)

6. Candy says

I just wanted to say thanks for the demo and directions.
    i have wanted to make one of these types of dresses for awhile and couldn’t find waht i was looking for!
    you have no idea how happy this makes me!!!

thanks again!

Trackbacks

1. […] using this pattern from Burda – tank dress with help from Megan Nielsen’s DIY Fridays post – Cynthia Rowley 2593 in a vibrant watercolor voile – all cut & ready to go! – Cynthia […]