DIY Fridays: How to make an elastic waistband dress

June 25th, 2010

2010-06-24 5Ever since last year, when I made this dress I’ve been getting heaps of requests for a tutorial. But if you have been reading  my blog since then, you’ll know that pretty soon after I made it I found out I was pregnant, got incredibly morning sick and took a break from blogging… and totally forgot about the dress! Until I wore it again when I was preggers and remembered I’d promised a tutorial – and it’s been on my to do list since then!

2010-06-24 2As a side note I get a huge number of emails about beginner sewing projects- and pretty much everyone wants their first sewing project to be some sort of party dress… I generally recommend against dresses as beginner projects because there’s so much involved – BUT I think this dress would actually be do-able as a beginner project, as you’re really only sewing the skirt part, and you’re using a tank top for the top.

2010-06-24 4So if you’d like to make one yourself, click on the link below and download the tutorial. (I know it’s a giant button, but there’s always someone who can’t find the hyperlink so I’m trying to make things easier!) Happy sewing!

click here to download the elastic waistband tutorial

ps. please excuse my weird hair… like I said the other day it got super frizzy by the end of a day at the fair!

2010-06-24 1Dress: Megan Nielsen – made from an old tank top
Shoes: Ninewest
Locket: Vintage family heirloom from my mom

1. Trudy Callan says:

Thank you for the tutorial. I’ll be using this one for sure.

Trudy

2. Carla says:

Thank you for posting this! I’ve had my top and bottom pieces waiting in a bag all week :)

3. Julia says:

Love this dress. I may have to make a couple for my daughters after they have their babies.

4. piglet says:

These dresses are adorable and I’m seeing them everywhere at the moment. Definitely want to try this one!
    I love your stripey one!

5. Linda L says:

It was a great idea for me to catch up on my blog reading. I have been wanting to be this type dress. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

6. That’s genius! And a cute piece, too! your creativity never ceases to amaze me!

7. Kimberlee says:

Great idea! Love the skirt. Found you through http://www.sewwhatbyjo.blogspot.com/

8. Angela says:

Cute dress! I’ve been wanting to make a dress like this for a couple of months now… I have the tank and skirt picked out… I just need to find wide elastic.

9. Arlene McG says:

Thanks for the great tutorial. Will have to give this skirt a try.

10. [...] wore the dress I’d just finished making that morning. It’s inspired by a new Megan Neilson tutorial, but I used a romper I had that had a number of holes in the shorts instead of a tank top, and a [...]

11. [...] to start and finish a project I’ve been thinking about for a while.  Ever since I saw this post from Meg, I’ve been wanting to use this older vintage fabric to make an elastic waist skirt [...]

12. Amy says:

This is a brilliant tutorial, thank you so much! I literally just saw dresses like these at a craft fair over the weekend and was tempted to buy one but for the extortionate price tag. Now I can make one myself, so much more satisfying :-)

13. Candy says:

I just wanted to say thanks for the demo and directions.
    i have wanted to make one of these types of dresses for awhile and couldn’t find waht i was looking for!
    you have no idea how happy this makes me!!!

thanks again!

14. [...] using this pattern from Burda – tank dress with help from Megan Nielsen’s DIY Fridays post – Cynthia Rowley 2593 in a vibrant watercolor voile – all cut & ready to go! – Cynthia [...]

15. [...] bloggeresses!)  I’ll link them all here for your reference.INSPIRATION:Peas & CarrotsMegan NielsenSew CarolineThis Big Oak TreeMadeAlso, since this was my first Elastic Waist Tank Dress, there are a [...]