How to make leg warmers and a cowl scarf from an old sweater

January 20th, 2010

This is a crazy quick refashion – no joke. 10 minutes max, and that was with Bunny “assisting” me (read: pulling all my sewing gear off the table) along the way! I got this idea when the hunt for the perfect cowl scarf and leg warmers had me coming up blank… I have a terrible habit of deciding I want an ultra specific item of clothing, and once you do that, you’re pretty much guaranteed of being dissapointed with pretty much everything you come across! I guess that’s why I’m better suited to design :)

Anyway, want to try this super quick winter accessory refashion? Just follow my 3 easy steps below…

I know… easy peasy right? ps. you might remember seeing these leg warmers before here. Endless possibilities! p.p.s. I’m not glaring at you… it’s just the sun!! hehe

Cardigan: Made by me (get the tutorial here)
Top: Cue
Skirt: Motherhood Maternity
Lace up booties: Relativity via Von Maur
Cowl scarf & Leg warmers: Made by me (get the tutorial here)

1. Nikole says:

Your outfit is super cute Meg… do i spy heels? :D

2. Rachel says:

That is so cute Megan! I love this idea. Thanks so much for this, I’ll be linking.

3. Su says:

You look really good – this is not a surprise :)
    I really like how you pulled off the look with legwarmers over yours shoes. I have a feeling that I may look stumpy wearing those(only 5’1″)

4. Denise says:

What a great idea! Now what are you going to do with the rest of that sweater?

Thanks Su, Rachel & Trudy! Denise – I have no idea! I’m thinking a hat/beanie or something for Bunny… will let you guys know if I come up with anything good!

5. JacRan says:

YAY I have an overlocker now so I can try this…. oh, but in the middle of summer…..? perhaps not…. although I could get ready for winter….? :P
    Oi Meg…. remove those heels and step away cautiously!!!

6. jesse.anne.o says:

I love this idea. I hope I get to try it soon. I reposted it here: http://jesseanneo.blogspot.com/2010/01/laundry-uniforms-legwarmers.html

7. kyla says:

This is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing your awesome creativity!

8. I was thinking how cool that was that you styled this look with the leg warmers that went so well with your top and then I read on and, once again, you are just SO crafty! Bravo!

9. [...] Megan Nielsen from MeganNielsen.com shows how to turn an old sweater into a neck cowl and matching leg warmers.  This no-sew project can be completed in 10 minutes!  Go to the tutorial. [...]

10. Anne Weaver says:

Awesome!! I’m going to remember your elastic trick the neck time I get a wavy edge on serged knits.

I blogged your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

Yay I’m so glad you all like it!! Meg xoxo

• Nahuel says:

Sorry to burst the thread bublbe here, but it was not Martika who sang Over and Over on Kids Incorporated. It was Renee Sands (Sandstrom) who would eventually become one third of the awesome female pop band of the ’90 s Wild Orchid of which Fergie (Stacy Ferguson) was also a member. Don’t want to take anything away from Martika, though. She WAS that show and was an amazing, all around, talent! You can see Renee sing Over and Over on YouTube by doing a simple search. Martika was singing back up, and on stage, however. Love them all!!

11. Julia says:

You are more clever than one young lady should ever be!!! love your blog and all your ideas

12. Danielle says:

I love this! I was about to donate an old sweater but saw this and now I have a new pair of leg warmers!!! Thanks!

13. Carla says:

Any suggestions for what to do if you don’t have a serger? This is so cute, I would love to make it.

Carla – the only reason I serge the edge is to stop it from fraying, so you could just use a zig zag stitch on a regular sewing machine if you don’t have a serger!

14. Carla says:

Oh, thanks! Going to sew this up this weekend :)

15. Jac says:

I tried it out with a ribbed knit… I was too chicken to cut out one of my sweaters… I don’t have that many!
    I loved how quick and easy it was Meg!! :)

16. [...] Gap Skirt: Megan Nielsen, Olivia skirt, SS2010 Boots: Born Scarf: Made by me from on old sweater Tights: c/o We Love Colours [...]

17. [...] in ihrem Blog, wie man aus einem langen Kleid ein kurzes machen kann oder wie aus einem alten Pullover ein Schal und ein Paar Stulpen werden. Eine Videoanleitung, wie aus einem alten Herrenhemd ein [...]