How to make leg warmers and a cowl scarf from an old sweater

January 20th, 2010

This is a crazy quick refashion – no joke. 10 minutes max, and that was with Bunny “assisting” me (read: pulling all my sewing gear off the table) along the way! I got this idea when the hunt for the perfect cowl scarf and leg warmers had me coming up blank… I have a terrible habit of deciding I want an ultra specific item of clothing, and once you do that, you’re pretty much guaranteed of being dissapointed with pretty much everything you come across! I guess that’s why I’m better suited to design :)

Anyway, want to try this super quick winter accessory refashion? Just follow my 3 easy steps below…

I know… easy peasy right? ps. you might remember seeing these leg warmers before here. Endless possibilities! p.p.s. I’m not glaring at you… it’s just the sun!! hehe

Cardigan: Made by me (get the tutorial here)
Top: Cue
Skirt: Motherhood Maternity
Lace up booties: Relativity via Von Maur
Cowl scarf & Leg warmers: Made by me (get the tutorial here)

1. Nikole says:

Your outfit is super cute Meg… do i spy heels? :D

2. Rachel says:

That is so cute Megan! I love this idea. Thanks so much for this, I’ll be linking.

3. Su says:

You look really good – this is not a surprise :)
    I really like how you pulled off the look with legwarmers over yours shoes. I have a feeling that I may look stumpy wearing those(only 5’1″)

4. Denise says:

What a great idea! Now what are you going to do with the rest of that sweater?

Thanks Su, Rachel & Trudy! Denise – I have no idea! I’m thinking a hat/beanie or something for Bunny… will let you guys know if I come up with anything good!

5. JacRan says:

YAY I have an overlocker now so I can try this…. oh, but in the middle of summer…..? perhaps not…. although I could get ready for winter….? :P
    Oi Meg…. remove those heels and step away cautiously!!!

6. kyla says:

This is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing your awesome creativity!

7. I was thinking how cool that was that you styled this look with the leg warmers that went so well with your top and then I read on and, once again, you are just SO crafty! Bravo!

8. [...] Megan Nielsen from MeganNielsen.com shows how to turn an old sweater into a neck cowl and matching leg warmers.  This no-sew project can be completed in 10 minutes!  Go to the tutorial. [...]

9. Anne Weaver says:

Awesome!! I’m going to remember your elastic trick the neck time I get a wavy edge on serged knits.

I blogged your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

10. Julia says:

You are more clever than one young lady should ever be!!! love your blog and all your ideas

11. Danielle says:

I love this! I was about to donate an old sweater but saw this and now I have a new pair of leg warmers!!! Thanks!

12. Carla says:

Any suggestions for what to do if you don’t have a serger? This is so cute, I would love to make it.

Carla – the only reason I serge the edge is to stop it from fraying, so you could just use a zig zag stitch on a regular sewing machine if you don’t have a serger!

13. Carla says:

Oh, thanks! Going to sew this up this weekend :)

14. Jac says:

I tried it out with a ribbed knit… I was too chicken to cut out one of my sweaters… I don’t have that many!
    I loved how quick and easy it was Meg!! :)

15. [...] Gap Skirt: Megan Nielsen, Olivia skirt, SS2010 Boots: Born Scarf: Made by me from on old sweater Tights: c/o We Love Colours [...]