How to make a wrap cardigan

2009-12-17 4

Wearing: Mimco headband, Megan Nielsen wrap cardigan, Witchery lace tank, Motherhood maternity mini skirt, Sweater tights from TJ Maxx, Steve madden riding boots, thrifted belt.

Well as promised before Christmas, I’ve been working away and created a little tutorial for all of you on how to make a wrap cardigan (design inspired by my friend E ).

I really think this cardigan design is brilliant. There are just so many different ways you can wear it! As I mentioned last time I wore it, I really get most of my fashion inspiration from my blogging friends these days and got the idea for this look from an outfit of Jessica’s. And I’m so glad I tried it out this way as I really like how it works.

2009-12-17 5

I’m for sure getting bump-tastic these days hey?! I’m due February 26th, which means I only have 2 months until baby boy arrives. oh my gosh. freak out.

2009-12-17 1

Anyway, I think I’ve waffled on enough!! Click here to download the tutorial and get sewing!!! I hope you love your cardigan as much as I love mine!

2009-12-17 3

Never miss a post!

Enter your email address to receive our posts right to your inbox

Featured Products

Megan Nielsen Yes I Sew, No i won't do your mending tote bag Megan Nielsen Eucalypt woven tank and dress sewing pattern Megan Nielsen Alissa maternity top sewing pattern

1. says

Lovely wrap cardigan – I’ll be checking out the tutorial as I reeeeallly want one of these. A friend of mine says these are fantastic if you are planning on breastfeeding as you can use the wrap part to cover you if you are feeding out and about :)

2. says

Thanks so much for the tutorial, I will surely be making this in a heavy weight and a light weight as I live in Texas and every 30 min the weather changes. Thanks.

3. says

Wow, this is fantastic! I just came across your link via CraftGossip. I can’t wait to make one. I would also love to link to this if you didn’t mind.

4. says

Yeah I love this but don’t think I have anything in my stash…. will have to see what else I can find or it’s a trip to the shops for me! thanks Meg xo

5. carol says

I just started sewing 2 months ago, and for my first clothing project, I wanted to do a cardigan like this. Wasn’t sure if I would understand a real pattern, so this tutorial was perfect because you made it seem uncomplicated. Thank You so much! Even then, I wasn’t sure if I would be able to follow your instructions correctly, so I did a trial using spare materials —–success. Thanks again for sharing.

6. Kate says

Thank you so much for the great tutorial! I made one of these last Sunday out of some knit fabric that’s been languishing in my stash after being given to me by a friend (almost the same color as your’s, actually). I’m wearing it today with a thick elastic-y black belt (the ones that are really popular right now) and had someone tell me how great I look today (which I normally never have people tell me). Thanks for making me look awesome!

7. says

This is just what I’m looking for, for Autumn (down under!) wardrobe. Thanks for the pattern. Will drop by after it’s made and let you know how I go. :)

8. Shahidah says

I just used this pattern to make myself one.. I love it!! It came out perfect!! Thank you soo much for putting this pattern up.

9. says

Thank you! I so badly wanted one of these, but it cost $90. I want to use it to double as a nursing cover up. I was hunting for a tutorial online, as I figured it can’t be hard to sew one up. Ordering fabric asap. Thank you!

10. says

I know that this post is ancient by internet-standards, but I just wanted to chime in to say that I whipped up one of these the other night, and I love it! It’s so cozy that I felt asleep in it, and I had to show it off on my blog. Thank you for posting the tutorial!

11. fatimah says

hi megan!!i just finished my cardigan!its goorrrrgezzz!!i luv it!n soo easy to do!!tq tq tq for sharing!:)

1. […] I know a lot of you have been asking for examples of more ways to wear my wrap cardigan, so I thought I’d share another little one I came up with. This seriously is the best cardi in the world…  I simply took the two bottom corners and tied them behind my back, then tucked the knot under, and voila – some kind of awesome cross over top!! After looking at these photos I’ve realised that I could also have tucked in that dangling bit of fabric in the front for a slightly different look… but I still like it this way. If you haven’t already downloaded the tutorial you can get it here. […]