How to make a pencil skirt from a men’s button shirt

A lot of you lovely ladies here and over at Wardrobe Refashion requested a tutorial on how to make this skirt that I made from a men’s button front shirt.

So here is a downloadable tutorial, so you can get sewing!!

Meanwhile, when I first made this skirt it was feeling a bit short, but now after some really sweet encouragement from a lot of you,  I’m actually feeling a little better about it! I’m really enjoying the sillyness of wearing a button front shirt with a skirt that used to be a button front shirt! And I think pairing this skirt with flats has really made me feel more comfortable about the length.

pin-stripe-pencil-skirt-from-mens-shirt-1

Wearing: Old Navy ruffle front blouse, Self made pencil skirt from mens button shirt, Sachi peep toe flats, Happiness necklace from Hong Kong

Never miss a post!

Enter your email address to receive our posts right to your inbox

Comments

1. ecky says

i love that skirt! thanks for the tutorial. you always inspire!
    i have a question though –
    where did you get those shoes? they are adorable and i am always looking for good flats.

thanks!

2. Megan says

Thanks Ecky :) Those flats are my ‘go to’ shoes! They’re by Sachi, and I’m sorry to say but I actually got them back in Australia a few years ago from Zomp shoes. I’ve been desperately trying to find another pair myself because I adore them so much!

3. Bunny says

Hi. I’m going to try one of these for my DIL’s. Did you consider leaving the curved shirtail hem as your finished hem? Would that work, do you think?

4. Meg says

Hi Bunny, it’s funny you should say that, as originally I did keep the curved shirt hem! But I felt that it looked a little odd on me. Plus I didn’t like that it looked like I’d made my skirt form a shirt. Maybe I’m strange, but I don’t like people being able to tell I made my clothing! However, it didn’t look bad per say, I’m sure it would work for your DIL, and it would cut out one step! I would try it and then if it doesn’t look good you can always make a straight hem!

5. barbara says

Hi. Just came across your blog. Love it…..trying to find the download for the skirt made from a man’s shirt but I don’t see it.

6. Meg says

Hi Barbara, the underlined phrase “downloadable tutorial” in the above post is a link to the tutorial. If you click on that link it will open the pdf for you :)

7. Meg says

Deanna, I just checked out your skirt on your blog and it turned out awesome, I love it!!! I actually like it better than mine, lol! xoxo

8. diamondmine827 says

Love this and I’m going to try it soon. I do have a question. What do you think about ironing interfacing onto the fabric/shirt before sewing? Mens shirts get wrinkled really easy and are hard to keep crisp without dry cleaning with heavy starch. I would want to keep a skirt like this very stiff to wear with a blazer or jacket. Tell me what you think. Thanks!

• MegMeg says

Hi! To be honest, i really don’t know! It sounds like a great idea in theory, but I don’t know how the interfacing would stand up under the wash, if it wasn’t encased between two layers of fabric (if that makes sense!) I’d worry that it would come apart after a while?

If it works let me know!

Trackbacks